Part XII.

The lift rose into the office, and heavy footsteps rattled Zircon's teeth. She couldn't think, couldn't move. She'd long lost control of her body — tears and sweat comingled on her cheeks, and she wasn't sure if she could've spoken even if she wanted to. Yellow Diamond was here. And from the sound of it, she was going to the dais and her chair.

"With all due respect, my luminous Diamond," said a pearl's voice, "but you specifically requested that I remind you to take a break in two rotations. It's been exactly two rotations and seventeen minutes."

"Two rotations ago, I did not have six incompetent managers on my hands."

The steps to Zircon's back shuddered as Yellow Diamond stepped up them, a small tap, tap echoing in response as Yellow Pearl scurried after her. When Zircon looked up, she saw Yellow Diamond sit in her lounge chair and pull up a wide array of yellow screens. One floated twenty feet above Zircon's head.

"My Diamond," Yellow Pearl replied, "you told me to tell you that there are no exceptions. You need to rest."

"No, I don't."

"Yes, my Diamond, you do."

"I don't. I understand I gave you orders. But I'm giving you new ones now — stop trying to take care of me."

From the silence, Yellow Pearl didn't seem to like this. But she gave a begrudging "Yes, my Diamond."

Five minutes passed of more silence, broken only by the quiet tapping of Yellow Diamond's fingers against screens. Then Yellow Pearl said, "My Diamond?"

"What is it?"

"Five rotations ago, you met with a yellow sapphire. She predicted that you would need a break at 38:02 on this day."

"This is pertinent because why?"

"It is 38:02, my Diamond."

"No, Pearl. I'm not tired. Go back to your tasks."

"Yes, my Diamond."

Yellow Pearl went quiet. The rhythmic tapping resumed. About fifteen minutes later, Yellow Pearl again reminded Yellow Diamond that she needed a break. Yellow Diamond, again, dismissed it.

This went on for six hours.

The whole time, Zircon stayed at the base of the dais, frozen solid with only one hope — that Yellow Diamond did not look down to her left. But she seemed to have no intention of it; Zircon couldn't even see her face from where she sat. And if Zircon couldn't see Yellow Diamond's eyes, Yellow Diamond wouldn't see her either. Her muscles relaxed minutely — the ones that could. She was still in the awkward crouching position, putting a terrible strain on her ankles and back. She wondered how long she would have to stay there before something happened. Only about three hours ago had she remembered to open her screens and start recording...not like it mattered, anyway. Who was Blue Diamond kidding? It wasn't like Yellow Diamond would waltz into her office and start giving her life story through song for all to hear; all she did was talk about how clearly not tired she was. This mission was pointless...

A screen pinged. "My Diamond," said Yellow Pearl, "there is a message from Blue Diamond."

"Read it."

" ' My dearest Yellow. I know you will not receive this well. My sapphire tells me you will not respond at all. But I am still distressed about the trial, and need to speak with you. Pink Di — ' "

"That's enough, Pearl."

The tonal shift was more like a snap, with Yellow Diamond's voice going from lethargic to almost panicked. Zircon's eyes widened. Yellow Pearl sensed the tension just as well, and her voice went high and shaky.