Chapter 14 - Asking Permission

Kate's POV

A week later

Wilfred and I have not stopped texting and talking to one another since tea time. Every day he texts me and every night, we speak on the phone before going to sleep. Sometimes we talk for hours. We love the same foods and we have the same interests. Why is it that I ever doubted our relationship in the first place? I understand that it was because of my impairment, but gracious, we are so compatible. I would even venture to say we are, at this moment, courting. It's a grey sort of area. We aren't dating, but we are more than friends. So, I suppose that means we are courting? I don't know. I'm only sure of one thing: it needs to stop, but I don't want to end it.

The ping of Sasha's phone interrupts my thoughts.

"What did he say?" I ask nonchalantly.

"He say, 'since you like to crash party, would you crash ball on Saturday?'"

"What?" I shake my head.

"He want you to come to party on Saturday."

"I get that," I reply. "I just don't think my father would let me."

"You go to ball at Noble Michel and only now you question?"

I shake my head. "That was completely different. My parents are going to be at the ball this Saturday. I can't go. They'd know I was there!"

"Why not ask mother?"

"I-" I stopped. I could ask my mother. She had tried to get me out of the house when I first lost my sight, believing the depression I was going through could be cured by an outing to the botanical gardens. She had given up after only a few months and fallen silent after my father had made his position clear. It was at his insistence my blindness was kept secret and his will that kept me from leaving our home.

I nodded my head, mind made up. "Sasha, please send a message to my mother that I would like to see her at her earliest convenience."

"Of course," Sasha says in his deep voice. "And your reply to the prince?"

"Tell him...I do enjoy crashing parties, and I will consider this Saturday."

"Consider this done." He types quickly and then leaves the room.

#

No POV

2 hours later

Beatrice Morgan was a vivacious woman who spent many hours each at various charities supported by the Morgan family. When she was not reading to the children or feeding the hungry, she occupied her time preparing debutantes for their presentations at court; she trained girls ages 16 to 18 on proper etiquette and dancing and whatnot so that they could fit in with high society life. This was a more recent venture that began after teaching Kate and a few of her friends some years earlier. She found she rather liked teaching and took on more students for semi-private lessons every year.

Today, however, Beatrice found herself busier than ever with the three girls in her drawing room. The girls would not stop gossiping about meeting Prince Wilfred. Rumors had been circulating about the palace and amongst the upper class that he was seeking a bride, and recently another rumor had begun circulating that he had already met someone, and that someone was taking up much of his time.

"They say he doesn't sleep until the wee hours of the morning talking to her on the phone!"

"I heard they have inappropriate conversations!"

"How scandalous!"

The all murmured and chuckled.

"Ladies!" Beatrice raised her voice slightly as she folded her fan. "We do not gossip in polite company. Your parents expect for you to be proper ladies, and that means you must take these lessons seriously." She said all this, never raising her voice above a gentle hum.

"Sorry, Lady Morgan," they said in unison.

"I accept your apology. Now, I think that concludes our lessons for today. Please review fan etiquette for next week." She stood and escorted the girls out of the house before asking a servant to bring her daughter to the drawing room.

It didn't take very long before Kate joined her mother in the drawing room.

"Katelyn," Beatrice said in a soft voice. "Sasha asked me earlier if I had time to see you today."

"Yes, mother," Kate nodded, her voice soft and even.

Beatrice pursed her lips. Katelyn would have made an excellent queen in her opinion. Her soft voice, beautiful face, gracious heart. She would have made a perfect match for the young prince. But this was no longer a possibility, as Katelyn's father had often remarked in the months following the poor child's accident. Oh well. There was no purpose in feeling sorry at this point.

"What can I do for you, love?" Her mother said sweetly.

"Well, mother," Kate began slowly, "I would like to attend the ball on Saturday."

Everything stopped. This was the first time in five years Kate had ever asked to attend any kind of social event, and both women now sat in complete silence, waiting.

Thank you for reading!