When You See Something

A text from Light was all Starre needed to perk up today. It's been slow at the hospital, and he's been, quite frankly, bored. He had to untangle his limbs from both resident lynxes to grab at his phone, the incessant buzzing briefly causing a hot flash but he'd toned it down and read the messages.

> Hey Starre!

> I think my eye is a little screwy still.

> Think you could run a quick vision test for me?

> I keep seeing funny things but only with that eye???

Starre squinted, pale blue eyes losing focus as his mind ran through everything possible. He's a walking encyclopedia, especially when it comes to illnesses. He'd clicked his tongue and managed to haphazardly get his phone to his other hand, the one pinned under the big sleeping cat, and with one numb ass hand and the other reaching awkwardly, he'd responded.

> heah

> neet ne at my hpuse

> c u soln

He'd pushed his face into the back of the cat's shoulders, nuzzling the toasty baby with an unusual and rarely seen affection, smorched her side, before patting her awake. Of course she took her sweet time, yawning and stretching before she rolled over and have Starre's face a big lick before she got up and started bathing herself. He'd smile, push himself up to sit, then stand, and as he'd made his way to the first floor, he'd tied his hair up in a chaotic bun and did his best to remove the thick layer of lynx fur on his clothes.

He'd made it to the entryway as his phone buzzed again, which coincided with an energized knocking. He'd frowned, and swiftly opened the door, only for Light to flash a grin and wave.

Starre almost... instantly paled, a hand lifting to cover his mouth as if that could hide the immediate fear and panic in his expression.

Light's eye was bright gold. And he means bright gold, borderline glowing. It felt nauseating just to look at it, it was so unnatural next to his cousin's blue scheme... which... now was mostly black and white.

Light, seemingly oblivious, pointed to the scarred eye that formerly had a white pupil, a /pale/ blue iris, "This one. It's doing it right now, it's like I can see a buncha things at once? It's giving me a major headache — oh! Wait! It stopped again!"

Starre, for the first time in a long, long while, feared deeply for his ghostly life, for that eye just went back to the pale colours. No glow. He felt cold, and as Light stepped up to be borderline toe to toe with his elder cousin, Starre placed a hand on his shoulder and just gently guided him inside, head ducked down just slightly, nervously. "Yeah, let's... get you looked at, Light,"

He has a deep gut feeling he's going to regret this.