Rich Set a Fire

"That's not it, Chief." Rich says to me.

"But it is!" I say.

"Just give Jeremy a little time. If he's still head over heels for Christine, call me. That'll give me enough time to figure my shit out." Rich smiles at me.

"Do you remember when we met freshman year?" I ask him.

"We had 7th period PE together." He says.

"We were partners for tennis." I smile at him.

"I thought no body remembered me. No one even knew who I was until last year." Rich's eyes had glazed over.

"It's amazing who a nobody notices." I look away.

"I am so sorry for all of the shit I did to you." Rich grabs my shoulder. It's almost as if I had forgotten what he'd done to me. A flood of memories poured over my mind. "Michael?" Rich asked.

"Maybe you should go." I say. "I need to go see Jeremy." Rich looked confused, but he just nodded and grabbed his things. I looked around my house one final time. I wasn't sure when the next time I'd see this memory hole again.

We both walked out of the door at the same time, but turned different ways. He was heading towards the city, and I down the street.

"See you later, Mikey!" He waved as he put his ear buds in, going the long way home.

I walked to the familiar house, and just let myself in. "Jere?" I called. No answer. I went upstairs to his room, I didn't even have to open the door to know I had to leave. I didn't have to look inside to know I was unwanted here.

"Oh fuck, Christine~" came from inside the room. I threw my "Riends" bag to the ground in the hallway and ran down the stairs.

"Michael!" Mr. Heere addressed. "How was your New Years?"

"It's great, sir. I'm about to set some resolutions." I said angrily. I walked out the door and started to run. I ran to my house, grabbed my keys, and fired up the cruiser. I was not messing around.

I don't know why I expected Jeremy to love me back. I don't need him! Richard wants me. I think I really want him. I hope my mind isn't just trying to use him for dopamine.

I drove around the city, looking for Rich. It began to snow more and the wind picked up. That's when I spotted him walk into an ally. I parked on the side of the road and ran after him. A man was following behind him.

CLICK

"Bag." He said to Rich dropped his bag to the ground.

"Rich!" I yelled.

BANG