Chapter 2: The Change

A/N: Key:
Hermione's thoughts
Remus' thoughts
Rieka's thoughts
Moony's thoughts

Remus' POV

I walk out the front door of Grimmauld Place and down the street to the apparition point. The whole time trying to think through what happened in the basement. The shock that went through my body when our hands touched. That has never happened to me before. The warmth I felt was relaxing to both myself and Moony. I have touched Hermione before and it's never happened. Maybe its because tonight is a full moon and my senses are heightened. No that can't be it. I try to think back but I have always avoided contact the days leading up to the transformation.

Then there was the smell. I smelt the potions, ingredients and damp air from the basement. Hermione's scents were present as well; dusty tombs, ink, and vanilla. But there was this musky scent, it was appealing to Moony. I had to fight to keep him at bay. Hermione looked frightened, my eyes must have shifted color. I didn't mean to scare her.

I checked my watch and realized the time. I had only a half hour before the change. I start to picture the upstairs bedroom of the shack but after what I just experienced, a run in the forest would be better. The Forbidden Forest. POP!

Hermione's POV

I land in the dusty upstairs bedroom that I first met Sirius in. I wave my wand casting a tempus charm. It's 5 minutes to go before my transformation should start. I begin to disrobe and fold my clothes into my beaded bag. I tuck my wand inside as well and put the bag inside the dresser in the room.

I look out the broken window. My eyes searching the sky for the moon. When I see it, there is a push on my mind. Like when someone is using legimency. I take a deep breathe, letting my walls down. And that's when I feel her.

There's a tingle in my eyes and my bones are straining. I stumble over to the broken mirror over the dresser. My eyes are golden yellow, like Remus' were this evening. My wolf is present.

My name is Rieka.

I'm Hermione.

It will hurt less if you relax. This first change will be the hardest.

Thank you.

I lower myself to the ground. Slow my breathing and think of everything in my life that makes me happy.

Closing my eyes, I see Harry and Ron laughing while they play wizard's chess. Sirius is yelling at his mother's portrait. Ginny is digging through my closet complaining about my sense of style.
Severus' portrait is nagging me about how I cut the roots too small. Remus is sitting in the library reading. The way he stokes his lips with his index finger as he contemplates what he's read.

I open my eyes again and feel pain down my back. I scream with each crack and stretch of my body. Next my arms and legs begin to burn, I watch as they shift and grow fur.

My screams getting louder and louder with each new feeling. My face is last. It feels as if my head will explode. I lay on the ground screaming and panting.

You must relax.

I take a deep breathe. I imagine the only thing that will bring me peace. Remus.

Remus' POV

I land next to the hollowed out tree, where I can hide my clothes and wand until morning.

I look up at the moon. I have about 15 minutes before the transformation starts. I strip down to my boxer brief. I have learn over the years it's best not to sit around naked in case someone happens upon me before I change.

I sit down on the ground, close my eyes and take deep, even breathes.

Moony?

Yes, human.

What happened earlier?

You will know soon.

You know what the smell was don't you?

Yes.

It made me feel.....good.

Moony stayed quiet. I opened my eyes and looked to the moon. It's time.

After years of these transformations, I have finally learned that if I relax it hurts less. It's starts in my back, with each pop and pull I snarl through the pain. I hear screaming in the distance.

Mate.

Not now Moony. My legs and arms tickle as my fur grows. The screaming is getting louder.

She needs me. Go, hurry.

I try to stand up to move like Moony asked but my legs give way as the pain hits again. I lay on the ground trying to block out the screams, until the change is over.

As my change completes, so does the screaming.

My mate needs me.

What mate?

Take a deep breathe and find her.

I inhale. I smell the moist forest around me. I can smell the different magical creatures in the forest. Then I smell it, it's faint. My whole body relaxes.

I rise and start running toward the smell. The musky scent is very appealing and getting closer. I slow my pace when I see movement coming my way.

I take another breathe. It's her.

There standing in front of me is a brown wolf. I could tell by her size and golden yellow eyes that she is a werewolf.

She takes a step back from me. Moony pushed to the front of my mind and growls. She freezes in her tracks. I approach her with caution so I don't frighten her away. Her eyes following my every move. Once I'm next to her I press my snout into the space under her ear and inhale her delicious, musky scent.

Mate. Mine.