Chapter 3: The Chase

A/N: Key:
Hermione's thoughts
Remus' thoughts
Rieka's thoughts
Moony's thoughts

Hermione POV

I lift my head off the dusty floor. Scanning the room, I can see details clearer and the room seems brighter. I slowly rise onto my paws. I take a few steps to the window in the room, to get use to walking on all fours. Out the window I see the Forbidden Forest.

Do you smell that?

I take a deep breathe. I smell a musky scent. I know that smell.

He's coming for us.

Why?

He's coming to protect his mate.

Mate? Me? I can't possibly be his mate.

Go to him. Let him know we are okay.

I make my way down the stairs and out of the shack. Once outside I began a slow jog, testing my new form. As I hit the tree line I'm in a full sprint.

He's close.

Rieka's statement stopped me in my tracks. I haven't seen Remus in his werewolf form since my third year. I take a deep breathe to calm myself for his presence. I could hear his paws hitting the ground as he runs toward me.

I look to my left and freeze when I see him. He looks exactly as I remember. His black silky fur, large body and golden yellow eyes. He's magnificent.

I take a step back from him to try to gauge his reaction to me. Remus growls or most likely it's Moony. I freeze in my tracks. He approaches me. I follow his every move with my eyes. Once he's next to me, I inhale his scent as he presses his snout into the side of my head.

Mate.

Rieka pushes to the front of my mind. Letting her take over, she leans us into Moony. He murrs as he nuzzles deeper into my neck. He pulls away when she chuffs at him. Rieka recedes back letting me have control again.

Run.

I turn to my right away from Moony and started to run. I can hear him chase after me.

After what feels like I have run for 20 minutes, I stopped to listen. I can no longer hear Moony. I whimper thinking that he gave up. A shiver shot down my body when I heard him howl for me. I returned the howl and began looking around for my mate.

Remus' POV

When she chuffs at me, I pull back to look her in the eyes. She turns away from me and starts to run.

Chase her. She is ours.

I do as Moony says and run after her as fast as I can. I lose sight off her after a while, I stop to try to listen for her.

I can't hear her but her scent is close. I howl hoping she will respond.

My body lights up and Moony takes over when she howls back.

I sprint full force towards her. I pounce on her, tackling her to the ground. I have her pinned under me. I nuzzle and lick her face. My mate nips at me warning me to back off. I allow her to get up.

We walk in a circle around each other. Eyeing every inch of her. Her fur is a chestnut brown, her form is feminine and muscular. I can feel how much Moony wants her. She starts whimpering at me.

Bow to her. I do as Moony instructs and bow. Lower my head and shoulder toward the ground. She approaches me and runs her body along mine. I lick her ears and she bumps her nose into mine.

She turns and walks a little away. It seems she may start running from me again. But she stops, looks at me and gesture with her head to follow. I walk up next to her. She leans into me and we start walking further into the forest.