A Hippy Is Born

Harry stared at his letter with great contemplation as he sat on the bed in his bedroom. It was a colourful room with murals on the walls, tie-dye curtains, pieces of hanging cotton, dream catchers, woven baskets, organic fibre rainbow bedsheets and various other creative looking bits and bobs . Closing his eyes, he let himself meditate over his new found knowledge and emotions to calm himself. He had contemplated completing a calming mantra drawing, however, decided that would be best left to bedtime before he went to sleep to help settle himself.

Breathing in, he reviewed his meeting of the friendly 'giant' Hagrid and his trip to Diagon Alley. Now, of course Harry had always believed in magic of a kind, after all, being a spiritual young boy it only seemed natural. However, he must admit to himself he never pictured the chaotic magic that he saw that day. No, he was far more comfortable reading tea leaves, completing reiki healing, using his crystals and making spell bottles. Still, he had learnt as a child the importance of pushing oneself and of accepting new ideas and beliefs. Thus, he opened his heart to this new kind of magic and promised himself to learn it to help him reach enlightenment and peace.

Yes, that sounded right. He would go to this Hogwarts and use its challenging new subjects and structure as a way to improve himself mentally and spiritually. Thinking of his new school he could not help but reflect on his old primary school, how sad he was to see it go. He had first been thrusted into the alternative Steiner education a few days after he started primary school with Dudley. His cousin complained so loud his parents had no choice but to move him elsewhere. He would always be thankful to his cousin for that.

For, the school he then went to for his primary years was a true blessing. There he learnt not only Math and English and History and Sports but Arts, Crafts, Gardening, Cooking, Eurythmy, Dance, Meditation and Mindfulness. The structure of classes was loose and flowing, allowing students to have input and to take responsibility for their own learning and decisions. Moreover, it allowed his creativity to flourish as he was actively encouraged to learn in a varity of ways as well as asking questions, using his imagination and enjoying his freedom.

At first the Dursleys did not like this one bit, however, after a newly educated Harry came home one day after a school lecture of a child's rights he was easily able to work out a satisfactory agreement with the Dursleys regarding his living arrangements. Harry would continue to do chores (as they helped grow ones character after all) however, he would get a small allowance each week. He would get Dudley's second bedroom but would keep quite in there and only use the rest of the house when needed or ordered. He could learn his school 'hippy' ways but would never talk about them to the Dursleys or the neighbours. In return, Harry would ignore their neglect as long as he was properly feed and clothed (although he had to use his allowance to buy these things).

Harry was quite happy with this agreement as he soon learned he could earn extra-cash at his schools weekly market where the community sold a variety of items. Thinking intelligently, Harry saved up to buy a second hand popcorn machine and borrowed an extension cord from the school so he could sell fresh popcorn to people at the market. The cheap price of the popcorn kernels meant he could rake in quite a profit quickly (even if he did have to give a percentage to the school for his stall). As a bonus, he small, cute look ensured a constant onslaught of costumers and his healthy product (for he never used to butter, only a little salt) meant parents had no problem with their children indulging.

Thus, Harry had enough money to buy himself paints, organic clothing, wooden sustainable toys and all the other bits and bobs he desired. Thinking of money, Harry couldn't help but think back to the small fortune he found at Gringotts. It was a lovely surprise although he was still glad he only just found out about it, for, earning money as a child was a good way of self improvement in his eyes. Yes, Harry concluded, things were certainly going to change, however, he was sure it would always be for the better.

With that in mind he swapped his blue and purple tie-dye t-shirt for a green leaf-dyed pajama shirt and some cotton boxers before going to his mantra drawing before bed. Right before he closed his eyes he came to decide that maybe another trip to Diagon Alley was needed, after all, Hagrid had enforced he only got black robes and he would feel far more comfortable with something a little more colourful....