Irretrievable

The young girl sat quietly in the office , looking down at her lap. The only sound was the ticking of a clock , and her breathing . The silence was suddenly interrupted by the door opening, as a young man stepped in. He walked over to the desk and smiled. " Hello miss Freeman , I'm officer Davis. It's nice to meet you . " He said extending his hand out. She just sat there , staring down at her legs .

  " Right..." He said taking his seat . " So , what's your name ? " He asked . She gave him a puzzled look . " Didn't you just...never mind...my...my name is Amour . Amour Freeman . " She said in a soft voice. " And how old are you Amour ? " He inquired. There was a moment of hesitation before she spoke again . " I ... I'm sixteen.... i'm turning seventeen in about five days." She almost whispered. "Wonderful ."He said , smiling brightly . But as he looked down at his papers , his smile melted away almost instantly .

    " So ... tell me about your friend Caitlyn Gismondi . " He said. As soon as she heard that name , a look of fear and pain crossed her face. " Is everything alright miss ? " He asked looking slightly worried. She didn't answer the second question and skipped right to the first . " Cate was my best friend growing up...she was sweet and kind to everyone , much to my irritation....She was anyone's younger sister , or a girl you had a crush on ..." She trailed off with a dazed look on her face .

   " Mhm . " He said emotionlessly. " And how close were you two in high school ? " He continued on . " Well we weren't as close as we were when we were younger ....so that's why I invited her on the trip. You know , so we could and try and get close again . " She said , almost in a normal voice this time . " I see . Would you mind telling me about this trip ?" He asked without an ounce of emotion in his voice . She looked at him directly , and had a horrified look on her face . Tears streamed down her cheeks .

    " It was ...supposed to be a normal trip down to the lake for semester break . It was her and six of my other close friends. Everything was going perfectly until...until.." She trailed off again . " Until..what ? Miss ? Miss ! Look , I'm going to need you to start from the beginig . And this time in greater detail . " He asked . She took a shaky breath , before starting again .

    " Like i said before , me and her had grown apart . So when everything was all planned out , naturally she was the first person i invited . She gladly accepted ... that was her first mistake ....but certainly not her worst . "