xvii. | chapter seventeen

Belle

Her time at home had been painful as she was constantly ignored

Her time at home had been painful as she was constantly ignored. But maybe that was better than hearing the snide, hurting remarks of Madame Colette all day. Still, she would have liked for at least one person there to care for her.

Especially as she had to leave behind the only person who truly care about her.

Luckily she and her 'family' were invited to the masquerade of Palais Garnier. It was a way to escape the mansion that was slowly closing her in. Tonight was the feast and Claude dressed her in a beautiful icey blue dress. It was really much like a ballgown in shape, only not that long so she wouldn't trip over it. There was a matching mask with it, icey blue with silver linings. Small sequins grace the rims.

She was last to join her family in the hall, waiting for their carriage to arrive. Colette looks down on her and huffs. "What an awful dress. It fits a girl of two, maybe, not six! Especially not the theme of this feast. Francois, why don't you say anything about your bastard," she snarls, trying to get her father's attention.

He didn't even look up, only responding with 'hmm hmm, right'. That he ignored her was worse than Colette's words. All Belle wants is to go back to the Opera House, crying her heart out through singing. Having her Phantom taking her into his arms and soothing her pain, telling her that it would be all right and he would never abandon her.

The carriage finally arrived and she sits on one bench with her half-brothers and on the other one sits monsieur Deveraux and Colette. She would never once again adress him as 'father'. That position was someone else's now.

It was only a short ride to Palais Garnier as the Deveraux Mansion was closeby. Belle was the first to step out of the carriage, wanting to escape her 'family'.

Before she could take off Francois grabs her hand and pulls her to him. "Do not walk off, we have to enter as a family. Then you can do whatever you want," he says. She agrees for now, knowing that they would leave her alone once they entered.

They walk to the front door where monsieur Firmin and monsieur André enter with who seem to be their wives, monsieur André's family and Piangi and Carlotta.

Monsieur Firmin greets his co-owner. " Monsieur André! "
" Monsieur Firmin! "
" Dear André, what a splendid party! "
" The prologue to a bright new year! "
" Quite a night, I'm impressed. "
" Well, one does one's best! "

They greet the Deveraux curtly before continuing in choir.
" Here's to us. "
André continues.
" The toast of all the city. "
" What a pity that the Phantom can't be here. "