Chapter 4

It was 12:25. It was time to go meet the Russian. It was half an hour later when we pulled up to La Covacha. We pulled on our jackets and opened our doors. It was pretty cold outside, so we were walking rather quickly to the restaurant doors. Once inside we glanced around. I saw the dude’s head over a booth. I walked towards him, Nata right behind me. There was also another girl there sitting next to him. She was beautiful. She had dark brown hair that fell to almost her waist, which was tiny. I saw that we had very similar builds. Large breasts, small waist, and true hips. She had dark eyes that looked gray, or maybe they were black. But they weren’t cold; they were more of a warm feeling. The dude also towered over her by a lot, probably even a foot. “You made it.” His voice broke through my train of thought.

                “You sound almost as shocked as I am.” That got me a short laugh.”I’m Alexandra. Alex for short and if you value your life.” My tone and face helped imply the joke which got me a short laugh from the girl and a small smile from the dude.”And this is my friend, Nastasia. But she’s Nata.” I gestured to Nata.

                “I’m Dimitri and this is Rose.”

                Nata and I slid into the booth across from them. I sat across from Rose and Nata across for Dimitri. “Did you guys hurt yourselves?” Rose didn,t have an accent.

                “Tattoos,” We said at the same time.

                “Oh,”

                I couldn’t help being a smartass. “You sound disappointed.” Mock hurt in my voice. She cracked a smile.

                Dimitri was business-like again. “You did magic.”

                “Yes. Now are you going to tell me what the hell that was last night?”

                “You were attacked by a strigoi. You are a dhampir, but you have magic which only moroi have. But they only specialize in one element not all five.”

                “Oh. I guess that makes no sense at all.”

                “You really don’t know what I’m talking about.” He sounded a little surprised. I just stared back at him with my brows raised. “Vampires are real. There are two types. Moroi that are pretty much the good kind and specialize in magic. They need blood to live, but blood is not like their main meal. Then there are strigoi. They are pretty much the bad kind. They kill people for blood and live off of it. They have no soul and no control over their actions really.  And then there are half vampires that are called dhampirs. They are a mixture of either moroi and human or moroi and dhampir. Dhampirs can only reproduce with moroi, so we protect them. Those of who have graduated and are dhampirs are called guardians. The strigoi, however, are always wreaking havoc and killing moroi and dhampirs. Some of us start guarding moroi before we even realize we are dhampirs or that they’re moroi. You guys are a perfect example of this.”

                I shot a questioning look at him and then at Nata, who has gone even paler than usual. “So you’re saying that she’s a moroi?”

                “Yes.”

                “Does that have anything to do with a sun allergy?” Nata seemed to have found her voice.

                “You feel weak in the sun and can die if you’re out in it for too long. You also need blood on a semi-regular basis. I’m curious as to how you got your fill.” He did seem truly puzzled.