Chapter 17

I probably would have gotten an ice cream sandwich too. But then about fifteen strigoi poured out of the truck. My ice cream would have to wait. I didn’t have to look to see Rose and Dimitri pull out their stakes while the twins backed up just a bit. But my attention was drawn to the oncoming group. More particularly, the red headed girl leading three other strigoi separately. Nata stepped aside to give full view of two strigoi holding my mom and one holding Micah. I didn’t know that strigoi had grabbed hold of me until when I lunged for my family and six hands held me back. Nata told them something and we were suddenly walking, me straining against their stone-like grip the entire time. I cussed them out in both Russian and English, but for some reason, it didn’t seem to deter them.

                I was shoved down onto my knees about three from Nata and my family. She had an evil smile on her face and she was stretching out a hand. She placed it on my forehead as I turned my face down to look at the white snow. White land. White world. Silence screamed in my ears again and then golden bliss pounded my ears open. Nata had healed me. But why? Why was she making me listen to my brother’s sobs, my mom’s furious yells, strained grunts from my restrained friends, and my sobs mixed with outraged screams and yells? “Nata. Why? Why are you with them?” I practically spit the last word.

                “Isn’t it obvious?” She asked incredulous.

                “Obviously not, or I wouldn’t be asking.”

                “Immortality. The feeling of being greater than this world. No not the feeling. The knowing that you are greater than this world.”

                I shook my head in disgust. “Wow, Nata. You certainly have changed.”

                “Not as much as your world will. After this, he shall make me an immortal and I shall drink you first. I shall drink your sweet and warm blood.

                “I don’t quite know if you’re threatening to rape me or kill me.”

                Her evil smile cracked a bit, the corner of her mouth twitching. “Still trying to give me hell, I see. Well how about this?” She took a long and wicked looking blade from her belt. It was the same one that had scarred me. The dead had disappeared when she had healed me though, so at least I didn’t have to worry about that part of my dream coming true. “Witness hell.” She gripped my mom’s hair and positioned the long knife against her throat. Her smile grew and she slashed the knife across and blood oozed out like a river of red. It then spurted on my face and in my opened mouth that was shouting every cuss word under the sun, mixing in screams and sobs. I’m pretty sure I sounded very inhuman to my on looking friends. Two more pairs of hands joined my restrainers as she moved to my brother. Micah was sobbing harder than me and looked so young. I felt my glow of power and called it. I called it to me hard, but not before Nata silenced his screams with her knife cutting open his throat. Warm blood hit my face and seemed to rain down on the white snow and white land.

                Too late. Nata realizes too late what she has done. Fire exploded everywhere and the snow swirled around. The earth trembled and a major crack appeared. Strigoi were swallowed by the earth that I controlled. Fire engulfed more and began to take on the shape of a massive dragon. I yelled, or screamed, in pure hatred and rage and the dragon “ate” the rest. Light filled my world and my vision tinged with black as I stared at a horrified Nata. I made lightning jump down to earth and rain poured as well. My heart felt like it had been torn and stuck into a wood chipper as I made my way towards her, calling down lightning to every strigoi body I passed. I reached her and she tried to run, but the water on the ground wouldn’t let her move away. I braced her head in my hands and I gave it a violent twist and jerk. The most horrible crunch filled the air and she went limp in my arms. No. She had to pay. There was no way she was getting off this easily. I shook her, punched her, and kicked her when she fell to the ground. Strong hands gripped me, yelling something that I wouldn’t hear. I would make her pay for killing what little family I had left.