chapter 2

We were driving home that afternoon. Nata either rides with me or takes the bus, so we were climbing in my Camaro today. It was her 18 birthday, so I was taking her to the mall. She only had one piece of homework, so she could finish that at home. I had five pieces, but I had homework passes, so I was good.

                The mall we go to is more like a small town. Did I mention that we lived in Miami, Florida? So, yeah, or mall is huge and I have about $802.00 to spend. Yay, us. My mom says she did something for the government or other back when she was pregnant with me. So we were filthy rich. Nata, however, was adopted.  And so she had no idea who her family was. The rest of her family was killed in a gang attack about a year ago. They had just been discovered as her family and they were slaughtered before Nata got a chance to meet them.

                I parked my car and we opened the doors. I should have been too tired to climb up out of my car, but I was, surprisingly, energetic. We climbed out of the car and strode towards the front doors. That’s when I saw him. He was staring at us curiously, like he couldn’t figure out if we were girls or guys. About six foot six or six foot seven, he was good looking. Okay, he was gorgeous. He had shoulder-length brown hair and deep brown eyes, but they were slightly squinted with puzzlement. I ushered us on quickly through the doors and tried to forget about him.

                The Miami International Mall was made up of five sections and in the middle was a small courtyard. In the middle of the courtyard were five steel pyramids. We ducked inside and, because we needed a laugh among other things, we pooped into Victoria’s Secret. Nata and I were having a ball. I held up a bright red lacy bra and we broke out into a fit of giggles. Nata held up a pair of black underwear. “Those are the Devil, Bobbie Boucher!” I said between giggles. We ended up buying those items among a few others.

                Our next stop was Bath and Body Works. We took turns sniffing things and making faces if they smelled bad; smiling if it was a nice scent. I got things like Ocean Breeze, Coconut and Lime, and Island Fruit. Nata had a very sensitive nose, so she got more subtle things like Dancing Waters, Clean Linens, and Sweet Pea.

                All she wanted after that were some shoes and books. We hit bebe for some awesome shoes. She got a pair of four inch red stilettos and four inch blue converse heels. I got some nice black combat boots I have been drooling over for a while and some five inch black stilettos. The lady at checkout seemed nice, and was obviously surprised by my combat boots, but didn’t say anything negative about them. She handed us our bags and receipt and we were making a beeline for the bookstore.

                I love the smell of books. I wish they made a hand sanitizer scent in that. We perused the endless isles of books and selected the books that really caught our eye. Half an hour later we had gotten a total of nine books. We had forgotten to grab a basket so we were carrying our bags, our books, and our purses. So you can imagine what our spill looked like when we ran into the tall dude and all three of us fell on our butts. We were stacking all of our books and slinging our bags on our shoulders, when I realized he had been extending his hand out towards me. I took it, grateful, and picked up my stack of books. ”Thanks,” I said, surprised at how calm my voice was. Buy I could feel a blush starting in my face.

                “No problem,” He a faint Russian accent. I breezed past him and placed our books on the counter.

                $143.00 later we were sitting in my car adding up the total from all of our receipts. I had $459.00 left. I had spent $343.00. Wow. That was fun.

                We piled all of the bags in the back seats and drove away from the mall. “Hey, do you have any black bread made up.” I don’t mean to boast, but I make amazing black bread. It was also Nata’s favorite. I made that for her instead of cake every year. She’s not much of a cake person.