Chapter 27

I leaned back into my seat and stared out the window just as a green sign blurred past. We were now in Omaha, Nebraska. Had I really been staring at the lily for that long? It had seemed only a few minutes ago I had pulled it out of my pocket. Weird. Well, according to my GPS we had 1,200 miles still to go. That left a lot of time to form a plan. But, sadly, I feared it still might not be long enough. So, mind resolved, I stared out the window with no thought other than how to stop my going to the school.

            I had one of those déjà vu moments of how I used to make fake vomit and then spill it down my front to stay home from school. Or how I raised all hell to stop my mom from placing me in a private school. Partly because of the people, partly because Nata wouldn’t be going there, and mostly because of the uniforms. Even then I had large breasts that seemed like they would cause the shirt material to explode.

            I wasn’t sure if either of those tactics was going to get me out of school this time around. Probably not, but I had learned not to doubt the obvious and the simple.

            Maybe I can tell them about the lily?

            I dismissed the thought as soon as it formed in my mind. Something told me that the lily wouldn’t work for them; just me. Okay, think. I told myself. And so I did. I thought long and hard. Plans would form in my mind, but I always shot them down just as quickly. Nothing seemed like it would work. I needed more information.

            And if it was information I needed, it was information I would get.

                                                            *           *           *

            We hit Rapid City faster than I thought we would. It was around eight still and the sun had long since set. Dimitri pulled into a large hotel and I had to wonder if Rose had any say in the choice of location.

            We had pulled into the La Quinta and Watiki Indoor Water Park.

            Definitely Rose’s doing; Dimitri would never pull into there without lots of urging. I was surprised that Rose had still managed to get him to pull in for the night at that place. Oh, well.

            We parked and I popped open my door. Lukah walked with me as I went to go get us rooms. I really hoped that I still had the money in my account for this. Better to check I guess. I was usually hesitant to do so ever since our deboggle in D.C., but I really did need to check my money.

            Sighing, I stopped walking. I made sure that I was out of the way of traffic and used the Wi-Fi USB that my mom had gotten for me. Mom. My throat constricted as though someone had wrapped a hand around it. Pushing the thought aside, I signed in and checked my account. Just as I had feared, there was only one hundred dollars left. I quickly transferred another eight hundred over. Out of curiosity, I checked my mother’s account just to see how much she had left.