Chapter fifteen

About halfway through her first period, Billie's phone buzzed. She pulled it out and saw Sabrina's name.

take it u went to school?

yeah

im proud of u💖

thanks

hey whats wrong?

is this about last night?

Billie hid her phone as her French teacher walked passed her to help somebody. She waited for her to finish and return to her desk before replying.

no

hayley?

stop talking about her.

no billie. u cant keep letting
what happened affect u

u cant afford to lash out again

i already know that

thanks einstein

billie im trying to help

u cant change what i've done

maybe it would help if i
knew what you did

Billie put her phone back in her pocket and ignored the message, taking her pen and writing the date very carefully at the top of her page and concentrating very hard on the blank page.

She absentmindedly put her hand in her other pocket and ran her hand along the pocket knife, something she did when she was deep in thought.

Why did the Hayley situation have to crop up so quickly? She told Sabrina, Ashley and Lana within the first six months of moving her after a few drinks. She wished she didn't. She wished she didn't see the date and realise it had been a year since Hayley disappeared. She wished she didn't break down and cry and she certainly wished she didn't almost tell them everything.

But she told them enough. Enough to make them suspicious while they were sober.

She sighed. She had a few choices. One, tell them everything. Two, tell them a few white lies and throw them off. Three, say nothing. Or four...

She shook her head, thankful for the bell to ring right at that moment and interrupt her train of thought.

She threw her stuff into her back and ran out of the room, ignoring her French teacher yelling at her to come back.

I wanna end me she thought and she practically ran down the corridor. I wanna end me.