Chapter three

Billie stayed at the beach for a while before her stomach grumbled loudly. She sighed, suddenly remembering the breakfast she skipped. She didn't mean to skip it entirely, she meant to grab toast but then again, she didn't mean to skip her first day at school either.

She put her notebook and pen back in her bag, brushing sand off the back of her jeans. She walked back up toward the road and headed in the direction of the town.

It took her a while to find the coffee shop because Billie had absolutely zero sense of direction but she eventually found it. It stood where it always stood, about halfway down Cordelia Avenue with a hairdressers to the left of it and a vintage store on the other side.

She pushed open the door and sighed as she smelled the coffee. She gazed with wonder at the shelf just behind the counter that reached the ceiling, dotted with plants and filled with jars and bags of various coffee beans and teas. She always stared at that shelf, even though she had seen it hundreds of times before.

"Morning Billie, you want your usual?"

Billie snapped out of her daze, her eyes meeting those of Hayley Williams, who stood behind the counter patiently with a smile.

"Hey Hayley" she gave her a small smile "yeah please just a hot chocolate."

Billie fished two dollars out of her jacket pocket before mumbling a "please".

Hayley always made time for Billie, making her the only exception. The only person Billie would willingly smile for.

Billie took a seat just in front of the counter and put her bag on the ground. She fiddled with the sugar packets and rearranged them so they sat neatly in the bowl until Hayley gently placed the cup of hot chocolate in front of her along with a slice of cheesecake.

Billie went to get some money for the cake but Hayley gestured for her to leave it, it was on her.

Billie gave her the most genuine smile she could muster and mumbled a "thank you" as Hayley left her with a soft smile.