I don't like hospitals

Kakashi jumps down from Iruka's window, already regretting leaving the warmth of the apartment. The healing salve on his chest had started to to take effect, the sharp pain fading to a dull ache. He stumbled to his apartment and disabled the wards before letting himself in.

His apartment didn't really look that similar to Iruka's. He hadn't even known where Iruka lived. He had no idea how he got to his apartment. Kakashi sighed. He shouldn't have pushed the chunnin away. Though he supposed it was for the best. He didn't want to take advantage of Iruka's kindness.

Now he was going to have to force a clone out of the shred of chakra he had left so he wouldn't bleed out. A couple of hand signs later he was staring a copy of himself which was staring at him very disapprovingly. His clone caught his body as he swayed forward, nearly blacking out then and there.

He deposited him on a chair in the sparsely decorated kitchen and went to the bathroom to retrieve his med kit. Some amount of time later Kakashi was covered in a gross amount of bandages and his clothes were in a bloody heap on the floor. The clone helped Kakashi stand and get him to the bed before he was released and Kakashi let unconsciousness finally take him.

Iruka was pacing the floor of his apartment. He shouldn't have let Kakashi leave, not in the state he was in. If the strongest ninja of the village died because Iruka pushed him away he'd never be able to forgive himself. He had already considered going to make sure Kakashi was okay but the matter was he had no idea where the other man lived. He supposed he could ask Tsunade but that would be followed with hundreds of questions.

Then again maybe it was better to get Tsunade involved if his wounds really were that serious. That and the complete lack of concern the jonin had showed for his own life. And what the hell did he mean when he said the answer was yes?? Kakashi was trying to get himself killed? That just didn't make any sense to Iruka. He must have misunderstood. Iruka groaned and sat on the edge of his bed.

Why did he suddenly care so much. They hadn't interacted at all save the one outburst he'd embarrassed himself with at the chunin exams and the other few times their paths had cross when speaking with Naruto. He decided he would try to find out where Kakashi lived tomorrow. Possibly from Sakura, she would understand his concerns.

He lied back down and set his intentions to get the last couple hours of sleep before the sun would rudely awaken him from his slumber.

Iruka woke up that morning with a headache. He decided it reflected his mood. It was a couple hours before Sakura's shift at the hospital would start so Iruka decided he might as well actually cook breakfast. Would Kakashi want some? Did the jonin even eat? Sure he'd seen him eat when they got ramen with Naruto but he never finished his bowl. Even elite ninja couldn't sustain themselves on solider pills alone. Iruka decided to make another serving to bring to Kakashi later.

Once it was done cooking Iruka quickly ate his share and put the rest in a box. He didn't think he was an amazing cook but he hoped Kakashi would at least appreciate the gesture. Iruka left his house and headed for the hospital. A medic nin told him Sakura would be able to speak to him in a couple minutes and that he could have a seat in the meantime.

He found his thoughts wandering again. Was it just pure chance Kakashi had wandered into his apartment? It could have been anyone's in that case. He doubted anyone else would take Kakashi breaking into their home as well. He didn't think Kakashi knew where he lived, he'd never been to his apartment before. Maybe he had found out at some point, abusing his higher status.

"Iruka! What a surprise" Iruka looked up to see his ex student coming toward him. She was clearly in her element, practically glowing.

"I hope you're not hurt are you"