The Talk

Summary: Wally and Avery finally confront Emma about her powers. Things don't go how they hoped.

Word Count: 2094

Warnings: Foul language, aggressive argument

Author's Note: Telepathy and 'thought dialogue' in italics

As always, Avery Yu belongs to 

The drive back to Emma's house was uncomfortably silent. Neither Wally nor Avery were exactly looking forward to the conversation they were about to have. Emma didn't know for sure what they wanted to talk about, but she had a good guess. Her mind raced off in a million directions toward all the worst case scenarios and her stomach did somersaults. It didn't help that she could feel her friends' tension. Avery switched on the radio on low volume, hoping it would help Emma relax. She listened for a moment before abruptly punching the power button.

"Emma, it's ok. Just breath. Don't worry about the what-ifs. Just focus on the road for now." Wally reached over the seat to squeeze her shoulder.

Emma attempted a half smile and loosened her grip on the steering wheel ever so slightly, taking a deep breath. "Yeah. Thanks." She hated the waiting. It felt like it had been hours since Wally and Avery told her they needed to talk. In reality, barely more than 20 minutes had passed. She breathed a sigh of relief as she pulled into her driveway. Slamming the car into park and yanking the key out of the ignition, she turned around to face her friends. "Okay, tell me! What did you need to talk to me about?" She shouted

Avery and Wally exchanged a look.

"Oh, god. It's bad. Isn't it?"

Avery reached out to take Emma's hand. "No, it's not bad. It's just, well, it might be a lot to take in. Let's go inside and we'll talk. I'll make you some tea."

Emma nodded. "Yeah. Ok. Sure, thanks."

A few minutes later the group was settled in Emma's room. Or rather, Wally was sitting on the edge of the bed bouncing his knee; Emma was pacing the length of the room with a face that wouldn't have been out of place at the doctor's office awaiting a terminal diagnosis. Normally her room was Emma's special place of solace. Now it felt like the pale purple walls were closing in on her.

Only Avery looked calm. She sat in Emma's rocking chair holding a steaming cup of tea, which she held out to Emma. "Here," she said. "Drink this. It's a special tea that will help with your nerves. My uncle's recipe."

Not wanting to offend Avery Emma timidly took the cup, blowing on it before taking a sip. As the warm liquid coursed through her she felt a slight tingling sensation as the brew took effect. "Thanks. That does help, a little." She stopped pacing and looked slightly less terrified.

Wally patted the bed next to him. "Ems," he said gently, "why don't you sit down? I promise it's not as bad as you think it's going to be." He shrugged. "Hey, it could even be a good thing if you look at it right."

Glancing at both her friends, Emma finally took a seat on the edge of her desk chair. She tightly clutched the teacup like a security blanket.

Avery glanced at Wally before starting. "Emma, before we say anything, just remember. Wally and I are your friends. We love you and we're here for you no matter what."

Emma froze with the teacup halfway to her lips. "Oh, god. What did I do? What's wrong? Whatever it is I'm sorry." She set the cup down nervously. "You're scaring me."

"You didn't do anything, Emma," Wally offered reassuringly.

"Then what the hell is it? Just fucking tell me already!" she screamed, launching out of her chair.