Chapter Two: Invitation

"Well, thanks for the ride. By her text, it seems Karen was upset I bailed on her." I said, as Tony pulls to a stop in front of my house.

Tony shrugged. "Well, I wasn't really giving you a choice. Anyway, it was my pleasure. I was coming this way no matter what."

I tilted my head. "How did I never know you lived across the street?" I asked, not bothering to get out of his rusted pick up truck.

He turned the radio off. "I don't know, I guess I'm not there much."

I nodded, remembering how he's always out at parties and fights. I don't know how someone could live a life like that. I guess I'm just not that type of person.

Like reading my mind, Tony added, "I do go out a lot. Speaking of that, Easton was wondering if you wanted to go to his house for a party this Friday."

I huffed. "Easton as in flirty, playboy Easton. Yeah, I think I'll pass." I said, unlocking the car door.

Tony started wiggling in his eyebrows. "Come on, Blondie, Dante will be there."

I smiled. "I change my mind now. Very funny, and I know Easton wouldn't have invited Dante, anyway."

Tony shrugged. "Your loss," I hear him sigh as I open the door. "I hear Jack's going to go."

I stopped midway out of the car. Jack was the only guy I had ever really been interested in. All of the other guys just wanted to be with me because I was popular. Jack was actually a sweet guy that liked me for me. We never really dated but, we hung out a few times. That didn't last long after he started having an interest in Blair. Ever since then Blair and Siena have always tried to get in the way of anyone I ever liked. They thought it made me seem less popular every time I was rejected.

"Jack?" I asked, breaking the heavy silence.

Tony nodded. "Yep." He said nonchalantly, then turns the radio back on. "But, since you don't want to go, I guess..."

"Wait! I mean," I hesitate, realizing I was coming off desperate, "sure, I'll go. Make sure to thank Easton for me about the invitation."

I said goodbye and headed inside. My little brother was sitting on the couch with a bag of cheesy snacks. I sighed. "Mack, you know Mom says no messy foods on the couch. Go wash your hands."

Mack makes no effort to move. "I'm 14, you can't tell me what to do." He changes the channel to hockey. "And besides, Mom isn't here, she left to get groceries."

I set my bag by the counter and headed down the stairs to my room. Last year, Mom and Dad had finally let me have the bedroom in the basement for privacy. That's where Gavin used to stay before he moved to university. Now we gave him my old room for when he came to visit on holidays.

Before I got down, I heard my mother come inside. She was talking with someone on the phone. "I'm sorry, Clyde, but you'd better find one soon." With that, she hung up.

"What did Dad have to say?" I asked, coming back up.

Leslie was shaking her head. "Another day gone is another day wasted. Your father still hasn't found a job." She lowered her voice so Mack couldn't hear. "It's getting harder and harder to pay the bills around hear with just my nurse pay."

I left her to put away the groceries. When I got to my room, my phone buzzed from a text.

Karen: Still can't believe you bailed :( Who gave u a ride anyway?

Me: Sorry, Tony made me go with him.

Karen: Tony?!

Me: Ya, and he said Easton invited me to his party Friday. Wanna come? Ask Zoya, 2.