Mother

She woke up the next morning, and got out of bed without thinking twice. The film on her teeth was was washed away as she brushed. She could feel the lies on her tongue dissolve with it.

She gave herself a once over, and did something bold. She didn't have much makeup, but enough to pass by. She pulled out a tube of translucent lip gloss, and smeared the concoction across her lips. She could feel the prick of her dried lips as it rolled along. She instantly wiped her mouth on her wrist, wondering why she even though she would be able to pull off make up.

A glimpse of Avery on the first day resurfaced in her mind, and she shuddered. Although she looked butt ugly that day, she still had the confidence to walk up to her.

Charity ran to the phone, and pressed the buttons on the ancient machine, before her brain could catch up to her in a race, who could make the stupidest decisions.

They were neck and neck, when a woman picked up on the other line.

"Ms. Locke?" Charity asked hopefully.

"That's me." She said.

"I was wondering if Avery was home."

"Yeah, why are you a friend of hers?"

"Yeah, we met at the library."

"That's great! I'll get her right now!" The line went a bit fuzzy, and within seconds, Avery was on the other end.

They talked for a few minutes, and agreed that Charity would go to Avery's house. She got her things together, and then got dressed.

Today, she let her shoulder length hair drop freely. She picked out an old baggy t shirt, with stripes of orange, yellow and green. She tucked the front into a jean skirt, and slipped on her classic work boots.

After the long ride, she finally stopped in front of a quaint bungalow. It was pale yellow, and had dark brown shingles. The windows were lined with white shutters, and daisies grew in the garden beds.

She walked to the front door, and rang a delightful doorbell. Avery opened the door with a gigantic grin on her face. She was wearing black tights, and a pink sequin tank top. She stepped to the side, and Charity stepped in.

They sat on an old but loved couch. A fluffy white dog came and greeted them, curling up beside Avery. The dog looked pretty old, but was very friendly.

"This is Penny." She said. The dog breathed heavily, and walked over to sniff Charity. They could smell Ms. Locke was already preparing lunch even though it was barely 10:00AM.

Avery and Charity watched The Wizard of Oz, which apparently was Avery's favourite movie. They then played board games and ate lunch.

Charity excused herself to go to the bathroom. She was having so much fun, she didn't realize it was mid afternoon already. The bathroom was spotless, and the tee towels were still warm. She looked around, at the pink floor tiles, and the pink ceramic toilet.

When she pressed on the soap dispenser, no soap came out. She looked under the sink, and in crooks for where an extra soap dispenser could be. She opened the mirror, cabinet not expecting to find anything. But she did. There were pills.

Lots of them.

She didn't want to be nosy, but the curiosity was overtaking her brain. She picked up a small orange container. There was a name, the person it was prescribed to.

It said Locke, Avery.

She immediately put it down, and picked up another one. It also said Locke, Avery. She picked up a few more, and they all said the same thing. The truth was, she really didn't know who Avery was. They had only been friends for a week.

She shook her head, trying to dislodge the thought from her ever-moving mind. She put the containers back in alphabetical order, and scurried out of there.

She washed her hands in the kitchen, and went back to hanging out with Avery. But she couldn't keep the thought from peeking into the doors of her mind.

Who was Avery Locke?

But then again, who was Charity Davis? A lost girl, just a shell of the girl she used to be. The girl she used to know. The one who genuinely smiled, not just when she felt it was what she had to do to be socially acceptable. When she didn't care what others thought of her, since she knew who she was. When the thought of talking to strangers didn't fill her with anxiety and dread. When she had an army behind her, supporting her every move.

She sighed, and moved her game piece, not feeling the appeal of the game anymore. She was supposed to be having fun with her knew friend, but instead, she was having a pity party inside her head. Pathetic.

It was almost dinner time, when Ms. Locke called Avery into another room. Avery excused herself, and followed. Charity couldn't help but sneak along, and hide behind the door.

"Mom, I can do it myself." Avery said.

"I know sweetheart." Her mother said, sounding exasperated. The door was closed, and although Charity could hear with her ear pressed against the door, she could see when she squinted her eye at the whole in the lock.

Avery took a glass of water, and swallowed not one, but two pills. She closed her eyes, and stumbled a bit. When her mother caught her. They started heading toward the door, and Charity bolted for the couch. Charity was waiting innocently on the couch, when Ms. Locke came to sit beside her.

"Avery's not feeling very well." She sighed.

"Is she okay?" Charity asked, concern in her voice.

"She'll be fine, but I can drop you off at your house." Charity nodded, and they headed for her old red Honda.

The drive was long and silent. Ms.Locke played a country station, but other than that, there was no noise. When they pulled up in front of Charity's two story house, she opened the door to hop out, when Ms. Locke gently placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Thank you for coming over today dear." She said softly.

"It was my pleasure," smiled Charity, "I would love to come again sometime."

"I appreciate it. Avery..." she trailed off. Charity's attention immediately perked up, as she looked into Ms. Locke's melancholy eyes.

"She doesn't have many friends. It's just nice to know she has a friend as lovely as you." Charity smiled, as she closed the car door.

"You remind me of her." She said fondly.

"Who?" Charity asked.

"Your mother." Charity was shocked by this. It hadn't even occurred to her that they could've known each other.

"How did you know her?" Charity asked curiously.

"Everyone knew her. She was lead in all the plays. She had this way of engaging people, just with her eyes, like she had the best story to tell."

Charity closed her eyes and took in a cool breath. This was the closest she had ever been to her mother, other than looking through her high school year books.

"Dear, if you ever need someone, know that I'm always here for you." She raised her arms, and Charity fell into them immediately.

She could feel all the tension dissolve into nothingness. She hadn't been embraced by a parent for a very long time. She closed her eyes again, and imagined what it would be like to actually hug her mother.