Hands

"After all this time, everything we were, you just throw your shit in with him?" Jay demanded. I was picking up the kids from him when he'd said he wanted a word. I'd thought it had to do with them, so I'd settled them into the car and then walked to the back end. 

Of course, Jay was referring to the response to his diss track. Between Marshall and my separate fan bases, and the general interest in the drama that sparked new listeners, the song had secured quite the interest. The sound of it was perfectly molded and, as Jay should have expected, the lyrics were brutally pointed. He'd clearly taken the loss. 

"I'm not having this conversation, Jay," I replied, moving to step around to the other side of the car. He grabbed my arm, his fingers digging in as he sneered. 

"Were you fucking him during Revival?" He demanded. I shook my head, rolling my jaw as I tugged at my arm, but he only increased the pressure. 

"No, I wasn't. I respected our vows," I answered through gritted teeth. "Now, let me go."

"The vows say till death do we part. Didn't follow that, did you?" Jay responded, keeping his grasp on me. 

"I let your cheating go once, Jay. You couldn't expect me to do it again, not after I walked in on it," I said, the memory of that night flashing in my eyes. 

"She was a fucking mistake!" Jay yelled and I shook my head. 

"No, she was a choice. Everybody makes them. You just don't like living with the consequences of yours," I said. 

"So, what, my kids are gonna have that fuck as their step-daddy now?" Jay demanded and I sighed. 

"What happens with Marshall and I in the future is none of your concern. The only thing that matters is whether the kids are treated right," I said, striving for patience. It was going to be a long time, working with him to parent the kids. If we could just find a way to get to the point where we were at least civil, it would best for all. 

"In the future," Jay muttered, his head cocked. "You haven't fucked him," he hazarded and I just shook my head and tugged at my arm again. He released me as his eyes took me in. 

"I'm leaving," I said, turning back to head toward the front of the car. Jay stopped me again, grabbing both arms this time and pushing me against the back of the rig. 

"You miss me," he said before he bent his head and kissed me. 

I was in shock. My mind scattered as he pushed to open my mouth, to deepen the kiss. After the half second it took to realize what was happening, I pushed him with everything I had. He didn't respond, though, as he still tried to get me to kiss him back. With no other choice, I kneed him in the crotch. 

He sank to his knees, winded and groaning as his hands came to cup himself. Angered beyond belief, I spit at the ground beside him and stomped to the driver's side door without another word. Jay was still in the roadway, his head bent and shoulders slumped, when I looked in the rearview mirror before I turned the corner. 

--

"You don't seem alright, Bey," Marshall said later that night. 

It had been late enough in the day when I picked up Blue and the twins that I'd decided to stay in town before we hopped a flight back to see him in Detroit. I sighed, looking down at the fingerprints on my arm. He was going to find out; it would be better if he heard it from me. 

"I had a run in with Jay," I said quietly, stepping into the hallway and toward the living room area of the hotel suite we were in. 

"What happened?" Marshall asked, his face calm but his eyes intense. 

"He isn't thrilled about us being together," I responded with a slight smile. Marshall nodded, twisting his lips as he looked at me through the camera. 

"That much I knew," he replied drily and I chuckled. Sinking back into the couch, I kicked my feet up on the table as I considered how to tell him. Deciding that ripping off the Band-Aid was likely best, I did just that. 

"He kissed me when he guessed that you and I hadn't been intimate," I said, watching as Marshall's face displayed his fury. Before he got too worked up, I told him the rest. "So, I kneed him in the jewels and left him on the side of the road."

Marshall's words, which had clearly been building up to a frenzy of wrath, froze as his eyes widened. They searched my face as I nodded with a small smile. He shook his head slightly, as if he were trying to clear it, and then chuckled. 

"Good job, baby," he said, warming me with the endearment. I nodded, biting the bottom side of my lip as I looked at him. 

"What's that look mean, Bey?" Marshall asked and I flicked a glance toward the hallway, making sure the kids weren't up, before I looked back at him. 

"I was just thinking that it's a shame you're all the way over there," I replied. Marshall's eyes darkened as he nodded, his camera moving with him as he walked down the hallway of his place. He was heading to his room. 

"I'd rather you were here, too," he admitted as he leaned back. I could see the headboard behind him now. 

"Yeah?" I prodded. "And what would you be doing if I were?" I asked, flushing slightly past the nerves of my challenge. He had been on my mind since we'd first kissed though. I was on a slow burn, the anticipation of what could be between us ready to burst into a flashfire with the smallest of flames. 

"Well, the first thing I'm doing when you get back is tasting that gorgeous mouth of yours," Marshall said. "And my hands have been aching to squeeze your ass as I pull you against me, so you can count on that, too." 

I closed my eyes, imagining the smell and taste of him. I could almost feel his arms around me, the heat of his palms on my body. I licked my lips, opening my eyes to look back into the camera. 

"Fuck, Bey," Marshall said, his voice raspy. "It's not fair to look at me like that when you're several fucking states away."

"I'm missing you," I responded, laying out on the couch and resting my head against one of the cushions. Marshall nodded, his eyes seeming to memorize my face. 

"Me, too, baby," he said. "When you get back to town, just stay here with the kids," he said and I cocked a brow. 

"You realize that I can't let Blue or the twins see anything...mature, right?" I asked. "I want to ease them into their mom seeing somebody who isn't their dad." Marshall nodded, his face understanding as he spoke. 

"Makes sense to me," he answered. "But, you should know that when they go to bed, their mom and I have some reacquainting to do." He noted and I smiled. 

"I'll be thinking about it all night," I whispered, biting my lip when he groaned. 

"Now, I will be, too."