10

The next morning, Joe takes Luca to the park after we eat breakfast. He's very excited to be spending time with his dad. When he left with Joe, hugging Demi, he hugged me afterwards. It was the cutest thing I'd ever seen him done. He's really growing on me.

Demi and I sit down on the couch after they leave.

"So, Leah," Demi says, "my friends Marissa and Sirah are coming over soon. Would you like to hang out with us? We're starting to plan the wedding."

"Sure."

"I'm making Marissa my maid-of-honor and I'm still deciding on the rest of the bridesmaids, but do you think you could maybe be one? I'm sure I'll have a lot anyways."

"Really? That would be incredible!" I smile at Demi. 

"Joe and I talked about you on our vacation. Is there anywhere you need to be? Like, did you run from someplace?" she asks.

"No. Um... I was living with a friend, but I left."

"Okay. I know this is a lot to bring on you today, but would you like to stay with us? We were thinking that we could hire you to watch Luca and do odd jobs and such so that you could have some money for whenever you want to leave."

"I would love that," I reply.

The doorbell rings. Demi stands up to answer and two girls, probably about Demi's age, step inside. The one is holding a baby and the other, the carrier.

"You brought Hannah?" Demi squealed. "She's already so much bigger!"

The girls come into the living room and sit down.

"So, you must be Leah," the girl holding the baby says.

I nod. 

"Leah," Demi starts, "this is Marissa and her daughter Hannah... and this is Sirah."

"Can I hold Hannah?" I ask, looking at the small baby.

"Sure," Marissa replies. "She's just barely a month, if you're wondering."

"She's super cute!" I respond as she carefully places the baby in my arms before sitting back down.

I don't really listen to the conversation after that. Hannah is the sweetest little girl. Her sleeping face is completely relaxed and long eyelashes make her even cuter.

"So," Demi says, making me look up, "I was thinking, my maid-of-honor would be Marissa, and my bridesmaids will be Sirah," she looks at Sirah, "Dallas, Maddie, and Leah."

"Who are Dallas and Maddie?" I ask.

"My sisters," Demi replies.

I nod and the girls continue talking about the wedding.

---

Once everyone's left, Joe and Luca return. 

"I can watch Luca this afternoon," I say to Demi.

"Are you sure?" she asks.

"Of course."

After eating lunch, Demi and Joe head out to spend the afternoon together while I watch Luca.

"Can you play cars?" Luca asks.

"Sure. Which is mine?" I ask, looking at Luca's collection.

"The purple one with stripes. He's not very fast."

I smile. The cars don't have their own speeds, obviously, but in his imagination they do. It's incredible to see how all of us start out, innocent. We don't know anything but the life our parents give us. I wonder how I felt at his age. Who knew my life would become like this?

---------

Next Update: Thursday