Cappuccino

I decided to push Ethan out of my mind, which was much easier said than done. I figured it if I kept myself busy all day, then I wouldn't have time to think about him. It didn't work, but that didn't stop me from trying.

The next morning I was up before six to take a jog along the shore. I breathed in the fresh morning air as the sun rose, its waves reflecting on the water. The seagulls cried and flew overhead in a perfect v-formation. After my run, I sat on a sand dune to catch my breath and take it all in. It was so beautiful there and I didn't want to waste my time. I decided right then and there that Ethan would not ruin my summer.

I jogged back up the sand dune and found Gran on the patio, painting.

She smiled when she saw me. "Good morning Colby. I see you're getting an early start today. There's nothing like the sunrise over the ocean to help heal the spirit," she said, smiling at me. "Do you care to come join me? "

"Sorry, Gran. I can't this morning. I have to open at the coffee shop today. Mouse has a doctor appointment and she asked me to cover for her. "

"OK, we'll catch up later today. How about we try the new lobster place that opened on the boardwalk? They have a special on Monday nights. Two can dine for $19.99. It's the best deal in LBI. "

I smiled. "Sure, Gran. That sounds great."

I hurried down the cobblestone road, squinting in the bright morning sun. I had forgotten my sunglasses, but there was no time to go back to the house to get them. Mouse was counting on me to open the shop and I didn't want to let her down. I was determined to make it a good day today.
A fresh start.
A new beginning.
However, the universe had other plans for me.

My downward spiral of bad luck started with the forgotten sunglasses, but it didn't end there. When I got to the shop, I couldn't get the key in the lock. There were three keys on the ring that Mouse had given to me - two short copper ones and a long silver one. None of them fit.

I was pretty sure the short keys were for the file cabinet or in the back office of the shop. I tried the long silver key again, which fit in the lock, but refused to turn. I tried a few times, but I was afraid to force it, thinking the key might break.

I glanced at my watch, wondering what to do. It was already five after eight, and I still wasn't inside. I could be missing important calls and orders.

So I ran around back, hoping that maybe one of the keys would open the back door. I noticed a flock of seagulls swarming around the garbage can out back, picking at remnants from yesterday's bagels and donuts. I shooed them away as I passed by. They flew into the air, and I breathed a sigh of relief. Ever since I saw a seagull poop on my ex-best friend Becca, who was sunbathing in her new royal blue bikini, I was always afraid to be in the line of fire. Becca had been laying on the beach proudly showing off her new two-piece, when she ended up with some unexpected white pok-a-dots on her suit. I laughed to myself, remembering the look on her face when she sprang up from her towel and began to shriek. But  karma had the last laugh, because as soon as I broke into a smile, I felt a splat in my hair.

Oh, God. Please no, I said to myself, feeling my slimy bangs. Sure enough white goo covered my fingers.

I resisted the urge to gag, as I turned the key in the door, which thankfully worked. I flung the door open and sped to the bathroom, where I tried washing the white goo from my bangs.
Yuck!

I got most of it out, but a hard white crust remained at the edge of my bangs. So gross!

Then phone started ringing, and I had no choice but to get to work. White goo and all.