More than Scones

The next day, I woke at dawn. My phone alarm chimed as as the sunlight streamed through my blinds. I wrapped a blanket around my shoulders and stumbled towards the kitchen to grab a quick cup of coffee, before a busy day at work. I found the patio door open with Gran sitting at her little round bistro table where she had breakfast waiting for us- blueberry pancakes with homemade whipped cream. I probably had enough calories in that meal to last me for a week.

"This is great, Gran, but really you didn't have to make such a fuss."

Gran smiled. "A special meal for my girl. It's so great to have you back." Grans eyes glimmered behind her glasses, she looked happy, but she also seemed a little tired. Not quite like herself. I usually had to keep up with her, whether she was out for an early morning stroll on the beach or on the patio, painting the sunset over the ocean. She was always busy. Always doing something interesting.

And she inspired me. I learned so much when I stayed with Gran last summer. I grew up... in more ways than one. But now something seemed just a little off with her. She was moving a bit slower and seemed to have less energy. I wondered if maybe she was just showing her age.

She reached across the table and gently grasped my hand. "So tell me Colby, how have you been? I heard that you've been very busy at school this past year."

I nodded. "I have been busy, Gran. I joined the volleyball team and we made it to districts." I grinned sheepishly. "And I even received an award as team MVP."

Gran smiled. "And how about your artwork? Have you continued painting?"

I smiled. "I'm taking classes and working on my portfolio. And I'm thinking about majoring in art therapy in college...thanks to you."

"Oh, I can't take credit for that Colby. You've had that talent all along. You just had to rediscover it. And I heard that you were elected to student council, too. Sounds like you really are making your mark. I'm glad things are going so well."

I smiled sadly and thought about Ethan. "Yeah, most things are going well."

Gran looked at me, her head tilted. Then like she read my mind, she asked hesitantly, "And how about Ethan? Did you guys keep in touch during the school year?"

I bit my lip and shook my head. "Not really. I guess he was too busy, it being his senior year and all. He had more important things to worry about."

Gran frowned . "Well, you seemed really important to him. That doesn't make sense." She shook her head and patted my hand. "That is truly his loss. But I wouldn't worry about it. You are going to have a wonderful time here this summer. I just know it."

I smiled and wiped my mouth with a napkin. "Thanks, Gran. Well, I better run. We have a huge order due early this morning. Mouse needs me there ASAP."

"Ok, you hurry along and I'll catch up with you later."

I rose to carry the plates to the sink, but Gran took them from my hands. "You just leave that to me. You don't want to make that new boss of yours angry." She laughed and when her face folded into a smile, she looked much more like the Gran I remembered.

I gave her a quick hug. "Thanks, Gran, I'll see you tonight, I said as I hurried out the door, carrying a styrofoam coffee cup with me.

When I arrived at the shop, Mouse smirked at me. "I don't blame you for bringing your coffee with you. I heard whoever makes the Java here does an awful job." Then she handed me some coffee filters and winked. "Time to make more coffee."

"Haha, very funny, " I said,  as I grabbed my apron from under the counter and got busy with this morning's order.

When we had the scones and muffins boxed up and ready to go, Mouse asked me if I would take them down the street to the law firm on the corner of Beach Avenue and 7th Street. "They must be having some kind of hoity-toity lawyer luncheon," she said, sticking her nose in the air. "You better make this delivery, Colby, otherwise I might end up throat-punching someone . My last experience at that office was not exactly a good one ."