Asleep

2 weeks after the initial meeting.
-

Even after relentless whining and bartering, Remus' attitude didn't waver. Across the span of recent weeks, Sirius had jotted himself into the man's time at the library more and more frequently. Sometimes he was greeted to genuine answers and sometimes to unexplainable snaps of irritation; unexplainable to the point that they may as well have depended on the phases of the moon.

Today, though, was different. With the coming of spring, raindrops raced down the wall-length windows and their repetitive song pattered throughout the large room. In the background, the voices of James and Peter buzzed like white noise, rising and falling in laughter.

Sirius, however, sat across from Remus, in the same usual spot. His arms cushioned his head from the splintered table as he rested on it. Save for the occasional yawn, he was silent.

His silence, though, did not stop his interest in anything Remus did. From his lean over the table, he looked up at the freckled man and warmed at his calmness. He would have endeavoured to question his companion's silence, had he not found such pleasure in the peace: not that he didn't care enough.

This uncharacteristic silence was, inevitably, broken when the sound of ripping paper emitted from Sirius' direction. He had ripped a page from the small notepad in his hands and was scrawling over it in green-inked cursive; more intricate and refined than you would expect from someone of his presentation. Remaining quiet and seeming tentative, he pushed the paper towards his company and waited on Remus' response, resting his head back on his arms.

'do you prefer me when I'm quiet?'

Remus read the curled writing before looking across to the male, locking his silver gaze.
"Why do you care?" Remus asked out loud.

Sirius opened his mouth to speak, but closed it quickly. He pulled another page off the pad and began writing again.

'you don't take too kindly to me whenever I try to speak to you. I'd like to know you, but you don't want to know me. I haven't even managed to get your name yet.'

"I'm sorry. I'm just not a people-person. You should probably just give up..whatever this is." Remus sighed.

He looked up from the note and realised that the man had been watching him. His eyes seemed tinged with a certain sadness at Remus' words; he often had this effect on people, sounding just hopeless enough.

Sirius puffed out his cheeks before letting out a sigh and falling back against his chair. He chewed his lip in thought, before pulling out his pen again.

"Oh god.." Remus thought.

He wrote quickly and pushed the square of paper towards him.

'I'll make you a deal. Tell me your name and I'll leave you alone.'

The freckled man replied bemused, "we both know that won't happen. When people put a name to something, they get more attached to it."

Sirius furrowed his brows and pouted slightly in irritation, forgetting his notepad.
"I'm not..attached."

"Then it shouldn't be hard to give up."

The long haired boy crossed his arms, leaning further back into his chair. He turned his head to the direction of James' distant voice.