Walking Away

He had been walking for a few days now, the city just a few more days down the road. He had been very very careful, keeping his cloak on tightly to cover any bit of his green skin. His hood was always on, and because it was large it fit over his face, covering it well. He refrained from asking for help, knowing whoever he asked would likely kill him. He had eaten about a fourth of his food, and prayed he would have enough for the rest of the walk.

He decided to set up camp, now just a days walk from the city. He pulled out the last of his bread and dried meat, and ate it slowly. He climbed a fairly tall tree, found the biggest branch, and curled up to sleep on it. In the morning he would finally arrive in the big city.

He sat upright with a bolt, having another nightmare from home. He coughed a bit, calming himself down by slowing his breath. He made sure he had all of his belongings, and set off for what could be the final time. He sighed as he felt dirt singe the cuts on his feet where the bandages ripped.

He looked up out of his cloak, seeing the city getting near. He didn't exactly know how he would get in, but he sure would try. As he arrived he saw two guards at the entrance. He drew in a sharp breath, then walked towards the large open gates.

"Hey! You, with the cloak, come here!"

He froze and turned to them, speaking what little common he knew.

"Yes?"

One of the guards, what looked like an elf paladin, walked up to him.

"Who are you? What's with the huge cloak?"

"I was thrown out of my home. Looking for shelter."

The elf tilted her head, then sighed,

"Alright kid. There is an inn nearby, tell them Alenia sent you. What's your name kid?"

"Crag."

The elf (Alenia) smiled and handed him 12 gold pieces. However when she saw his olive green skin she frowned, immediately recognizing the goblin traits in him. She whispered quietly,

"Why are you here goblin? You know they will kill you right?"

Crag frowned, looking up at her solemnly,

"I want to learn about Lathander. Family didn't agree. I'm too young for family to kill."

Alenia nodded, recognizing the gods name.

"Did he call to you? Or did you find a symbol of his?"

Crag just nodded, shaking violently.

"Come with me. I can get you into the church."

Crag smiled happily, but saw her make some sort of symbol to the other paladin.(guard? He wasn't sure anymore) He started to panic, seeing the other guard walk closer. He took the 12 gold from her hand, stuffing it in his pocket, and made a break for it.

He was running as fast as he could, going down random alleys to escape. He found a small house that had been burnt to the ground. He climbed inside, finding an old bed to hide under. He held his breath, hearing the paladins behind him.

"Crag come back! We don't want to hurt you! The church just needs to see you!"

He stayed frozen under the bed, hearing them talking silently. He waited maybe 30 minutes before they left, then finally heard Alenia tell the paladin to lead the way back to the church. He let out a breath of relief and decided he had found his home for now.