The Church

Crag could feel his impatience building, along with his hunger. His rations were gone now, and he had been praying even more without a sign. It had been a year since he met Alenia, since he moved into the city. His home had remained untouched too. Apparently the previous owners didn't care about the ashy rubble of a home they once had.

He had acquired a small mouse friend, who he named Ludo. It was in the same condition as him, young, hungry, tired. He picked ludo up and put him in his belt pouch. He put on his cloak and set off to the church, to ask for help. He could no longer do this on his own.

As he walked he kept his head down, watching the feet of people much taller than him go by. He hurried, looking up only once to make sure he was going into the right building. He pushed the door open, and walked in. He looked up to see a Dragonborn paladin in a pew, and the priest talking to many clerics about a new crime. He quietly scurried over to the dragonborn, hoping she would understand his problems.

"E-Excuse me, miss?"

She jumped and looked down at him. She took a deep breath and smiled.

"Hello, can I help you?"

"Well- You see I want to become a paladin, I've been praying for a year now. I want help."

She nodded and stood up,

"Follow me, we can talk in private."

She started walking towards what looked like an office. After he walked inside, she closed the door and sat down behind a small desk. The room was quite plain, with a desk and two chairs. There was a small window behind the desk and a small bookshelf hung up on the wall.

He sat down in the chair that was left open, and waited for her to speak. He had a bad feeling she knew who he was.

"So, you want to become a paladin? What makes you think you can?"

Crag was a bit shocked by her words, his hood falling back when he moved his head. His large pointed ears and jet black bear were now visible to her. He, not waiting for her reaction, told her his reasoning.

"Well Crag, I see your heart is in the right place. You are very determined, although you have no home or food. Lathander would be proud of you if he were to see you. However, because you are a goblin this could be a much more difficult path for you to pursue. He might be waiting for you to truly prove yourself."

Crag nodded slowly, thinking of the positives.

"Well what can I do? I would do anything to prove myself worthy."

The Dragonborn smiled.

"For now Crag, I Kayfire, will take you under my wing as an apprentice. You must understand however, one cannot choose to be a paladin. If Lathander decides you are unworthy to be a paladin under his name, you will not become a paladin."

Crag nodded, now scared. Would Lathander allow a measly goblin to represent him? Who knew, but Crag knew he would try.

531 words