Revelations: A Ladybug and Cat Noir Story

A/N:  This story now has a part 2, and I'm working on a third!

Another day, another akumatized victim thwarted and saved, another afternoon rooftop with a Cat Noir and a Miraculous Ladybug flashing from having used Lucky Charm and Cataclysm, the usual five minutes remaining before they both revert. Ladybug tries to bid a quick farewell to the cat, knowing change was imminent, and that he would be transforming first with one pad more than her vanished already. But Cat Noir grabs her gently by the arm, tilting his head down and whispering "Wait..."

After a quick but quiet moment, Cat Noir looks up at Lady, a sincerely loving but questioning look on his face, his hand still holding her arm. "Listen, Ladybug...I understand that you are not ready to reveal yourself to me, so I won't ask it of you--this time." He dons a mischievous look for a moment, but quickly gets serious again, before the Bug can say anything. He continues, returning his face to one of affection. "But would you at least...consider letting me transform for you?" He lets Lady go, turning his head downward, and gives Marinette no chance to reply. "I mean, I haven't forgotten that you're in love with someone else, but that's not what this is about. I just...well...for starters, I trust you implicitly with my secret--and I hope you know you can trust me with yours--but mostly, it's...it's..."

He tilts his downturned head to the side, slumping his shoulders and releasing a long sigh, ready to give up already. But much to his surprise, before he can call the whole thing a joke and leave in his superhero get-up, the Dotted Lady questions him further.

Now it's Laydbug's turn to lay hands on him, placing both hands on his shoulders--causing the cat to straighten up and look into her eyes once more as DuPainCheng replies. "Um...er...Cat Noir, I do trust you. I'm just not so sure it's a good idea. I mean we were both told to guard our secrets with our lives! It's nothing personal, I swear! But...if you don't mind telling me...what were you going to say? Why is it so important to you to show me your true self, even without me returning the favor? I must admit, I'm very curious..."

Adrien's eyes widen at that, his face a visage of incredulity and joy at his Bugaboo's sudden interest in his personal feelings, despite still being opposed to revealing themselves to one another.

Without breaking eye contact but turning his face serious (yet loving) once more, the kitty begins again to tell the pretty little beetle what she had asked to hear.

"Well, uh, it's like this, Ladybug...you see, my true self and Cat Noir are very different people. In normal life, I don't have this kind of freedom, and I'm anything but bold. Wearing the costume and mask so that no one knows me leaves me free to be who I want to be for a while instead of who I am the rest of the time. And I...I just want..." His face turns downward and sad, halting the words about to escape his mouth. Before he can say "nevermind," though, Ladybug tries to give him an out for this obviously difficult answer.

"Wait, Cat Noir," she says, gently squeezing his black-leather shoulders, causing the cat to look up, "you don't have to tell me. It's alright. Go ahead and keep your secret, no hard feelings. OK?" Her head is slightly tilted, a small yet compassionate and understanding smile upon her face. Cat Noir looks confused at this remark, both amazed that she had somehow known that he was about to retract his request, and soothed by her caring expression and tender grip on his shoulders. He can't help but return her mild but earnest smile for a second before he replies.

"NO! That's not it. I do want to tell you, Lady, I do. It's just...not as easy as I imagined. But please hear me out?" His brow furrows in worry as his eyes plead with hers to listen. Ladybug lets go his arms to pat his chest affectionately. "Of course," she replies gently, widening her smile.