Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Emberpaw pressed her paws over her ears as Featherfall's sobs rang through the clearing. Stonepaw's body was slumped in the center of the clearing. Featherfall was lying beside him. Their bodies are so different, Emberpaw thought. Featherfall's body was racked viciously by cries of grief, and Stonepaw's was motionless.

No tom padded forward to comfort her, and Emberpaw briefly wondered who her mate was before remembering that it was Adderstrike. She didn't dwindle on these thoughts and instead busied herself by eating the squirrel at her paws. Every bite was juicy, but she found that she couldn't enjoy it. She was too stunned by what had happened earlier.

Darkstar's yowl echoed through the clearing. She listened as he called cats into the camp and waited until most of them had gathered before she crept out and sat between Adderstrike and Blackpaw. For once, Blackpaw hardly seemed to care that she was so close to him.

"The Gathering is tonight, as you already know. I just want to make sure that everyone knows who is going and who isn't. Sparrowstripe, Sharpfang, and Ambersap, you will all be going tonight. If you haven't been told you're going to the Gathering tonight, then you will not be going."

Emberpaw sighed. She was looking forward to going and talking to the other Clans; she had no idea what was going on with them. She assumed Sparrowstripe would tell her what had happened when he returned.

She watched as Darkstar leapt from the top of his den and began to lead the cats out of the clearing. His body was outlined by the light of the setting sun. Emberpaw watched as Blackpaw padded from the apprentices' den and followed after the group, looking ruffled.

Sparrowstripe flicked his tail in farewell to her and climbed after Ravenheart, into the forest. The only warriors left in the clearing were Brokenleg, Paleleaf, and Sunfade. They paced around the camp looking bored, while Sunfade sat by Mintfoot in the nursery. Floodkit was lying at the foot of the den, and Mintfoot was watching her with a look of pride.

Emberpaw watched as Thistlekit crept out of the nursery. He was at least twice Floodkit's size and more than half Emberpaw's age. The tip of his ear rested at Emberpaw's neck. At this point, no cat would believe that he was three moons old. Emberpaw briefly considered telling someone that he was already the age of an apprentice, but she wouldn't do it without his permission.

"Hi, Thistlekit," she mewed.

He nodded in response. There was something odd about him. He didn't seem very social. Emberpaw wondered if it had to do with his old family, but she didn't want to ask.

She glanced away, over at Brokenleg and Paleleaf. It looked as though they were guarding the camp, but they looked bored.

"So have you gotten used to ShadowClan yet?"

"Yeah, and I think I could train to be a warrior if I wanted to." Thistlekit yawned and scratched his ear.

"You don't want to?"

"Not really."

"We could use your help with the hunting and things around here, you know." Emberpaw looked back at him. "Are you using us to feed you and protect you?"

Thistlekit huffed. "Well, everyone feeds the kits first, and not the apprentices. When I first came, I noticed that I could see your ribs through your pelt. You look better now... but with winter coming, I'm not sure if I want to be outside the camp."

Emberpaw briefly wondered what winter was, but she instantly connected it with Leaf-bare, remembering that he wasn't Clan-born. "That's... brilliant." Emberpaw flicked her ear. "I think you'd be a good apprentice. You're smart and I promise that you'll get something to eat."