Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Blackpaw padded beside the lake, his paws sliding on the pebbles. The group of cats heading to the Gathering, a rather large group, close to the water’s edge, where the land belonged to none of the Clans. He ducked his head as he heard Birdpaw’s purr from nearby. Had she really gotten over her siblings so fast?

He turned his head and saw that she was talking softly to Shadepaw and Grayfern. He rolled his eyes and let out a breath of surprise as he crashed into a tree nose first.

He heard a snort of amusement and kept walking without trying to see who had laughed at him. Blackpaw tried to keep his cool and his pelt remained flat, but he was thoroughly embarrassed. Besides, he had nobody next to him, unlike Shadepaw, who could be friends with anyone. Grayfern and Maplefur were beside him, while Hawkflight kept looking back over his shoulder and making remarks to them. Birdpaw also bounced near Shadepaw. Blackpaw knew he wouldn’t have friends like them in ShadowClan because they were annoying, specifically Birdpaw. He knew that Emberpaw would never be friends with Maplefur, after she left long scars down the warrior’s sides, clearly visible through her thin fur. Blackpaw snorted as he remembered Maplefur grumbling about it to anyone that would listen.

He watched as the cat in front of him, Mothshadow, hurtled down the slope, toward the island. He slowed a bit and walked down, letting Shadepaw’s group of friends pass him. Shadepaw gave him a glance as he passed, his dark pelt ruffled with unease. Blackpaw focused on crossing the tree-bridge, but his brother spoke to him anyway.

“Blackpaw, can we talk? It’s important.”

Blackpaw looked up as he leapt onto the sand of the island. Grayfern and Birdpaw were waiting for Shadepaw. “Not now. Go join your friends,” he answered scornfully. He felt his heart lurch as he realized he would be sitting alone, without Leafpaw.

“Make some friends,” he murmured to himself as he padded across the island. He stopped as Shadepaw moved to his side. “Why don’t you come meet my friend Splashpaw?” He offered.

Blackpaw heaved a sigh. “Okay,” he finally mewed. He felt ashamed when he realized that Shadepaw wasn’t exactly begging him to go talk with his friends, and he’d sounded arrogant. He turned and followed after his brother, glad for the offer.

Shadepaw led him towards a quite large group of apprentices. He nodded to a gray and white she-cat. “Hi, Splashpaw, this is my brother,” he mewed. His pelt grazed hers gently as he sat down beside her, and Blackpaw smirked.

“Actually, I’m Splashpelt now. Are you close to becoming a warrior as well?” The she-cat’s eyes were gleaming with pride. Blackpaw nodded as Shadepaw pondered the question. “Our assessments should be coming up very soon,” Blackpaw meowed.

Shadepaw nodded in agreement. “We’ll finally all be warriors,” the tom mewed. “And we’ve all earned it.”

Blackpaw scratched his ear, not so sure. He had chosen to obey his mother’s every last word. But he had never even met Flameheat before. ‘Follow Shadepaw’s lead,’ she had told him. ‘Don’t listen to Emberpaw’s theories.’ Although, at the time, they had been merely kits. Blackpaw had been overwhelmed, but he remembered her words to every last detail.

Voices buzzed around the clearing, but Blackpaw sat silently until a broad black and white tom sat next to him. “Hello,” he mewed. “I’m Reedpaw.”

Blackpaw thought about not responding, but he didn’t want to shrug off everyone’s kindness like Emberpaw usually did. “I’m Blackpaw. How’s the prey running in…?” He trailed off.