Chapter 12

Chapter 12

There was warmth in the air when Darkstar woke up. He let out a long yawn and stretched his front legs before standing up and adjusting to his surroundings.

He was on StarClan hunting grounds. The silence was odd, and he scented no other cats around.

Suddenly, a rush of wind sent him off balance, onto his side. A large white bird circled him; an owl. He jumped as it flew over his head, and calmed as it disappeared into the night.

There was a light touch on his shoulder. He spun, ready to face one of his ancestors, but the clearing was empty. A single white feather slid from his shoulder, and landed on his paw.

In a heartbeat, the memory of the bird’s wing in Thistlekit’s mouth appeared behind his eyes. He looked around for some cat to speak to him again, but no cat came.

“Thistlekit is the cat of the prophecy,” he growled. “He is the only cat to be trusted."

Remembering what Cedarstar and Flameheat had told him, he mewed, "Or he can't be."

With no answer from StarClan, he watched the ground fade away until he was plunged into sleep once more.

****

“Emberpaw, let’s go.”

Emberpaw grunted and blinked up at her mentor. Darkstar was glaring at her with bright green eyes, his pelt ruffled. Raindrops falling framed his pelt, and Emberpaw groaned as she imagined trekking in the rain.

“Hunting patrol again?” She asked. Darkstar knew that she was already skilled at fighting, and only took her to hunt or patrol the borders. It was getting boring, doing the same routine every day, but when she became a warrior, she would have her own apprentice to train.

That is, if Darkstar trusts me enough to train an apprentice, she thought grimly.

But Darkstar shook his head. “We’re going to the RiverClan border. Be prepared to fight, if anything.”
Climbing to her paws, she followed Darkstar toward a group of cats, her pads itching to avenge her Clanmates. She would do anything to help Sparrowstripe sleep better at night knowing that Ravenheart’s death wasn’t for nothing.

Shadepaw watched her pad over to the group of cats. Ambersap was also a part of the patrol, and so were Sunfade and Adderstrike. Darkstar had chosen sensible warriors to go, and Shadepaw was given Adderstrike as a mentor.

Emberpaw sprang through the gorse tunnel, eager to be under the pines and mostly out of the rain. She wondered how long it had been raining, and if the marsh was more watery than muddy. It had usually been due to all the snowmelt of Leaf-bare.

She padded in silence next to Shadepaw. He cast a glance over at her, and she glanced back. “Can we talk?” He finally muttered.

Emberpaw glanced up to the front of the patrol. Darkstar was talking with Sunfade, and Adderstrike was joking with Ambersap. They probably wouldn’t notice the apprentices slip away for a few moments, so Emberpaw nodded and dove behind a bramble thicket.

Shadepaw easily joined her. “We haven’t been very close, because Flameheat told us some things,” he mewed. “But I want you in on something I’ve been thinking about.”

“Okay,” Emberpaw started with a confused blink.

“Do you remember meeting Splashpaw at the Gathering?” Shadepaw meowed. When Emberpaw gave a slight nod, he nodded too. “Well, she’s become a warrior now, and she’s strong and brave.”