Prologue

Stella stared out the window of the class room waiting for the last bell to ring out suggesting it was time to go home.  Outside of the window she can make out a shadowy figure staring back at her.  Minutes would go by before her attention is drawn to the front of the room.
"Mrs.  Williams, are you waiting for something to pop through the window?"
She shrinks down in her chair and shakes her head no. 
Finally the bell rings.   She glances around the room at everyone putting their books and pencils away.
"Remember homework is due first thing tomorrow morning." Mr. Cruz says as he also gathers his things. 
Stella slowly packed away her pen and book that they had been reading in class.  Its about a young girl who gets stuck in life and feels trapped in her own  mind. 
Stella was the last student to leave the class. As she does she waves good bye to Mr. Cruz who hasn't finished packing yet.
She followed her usual route to the house but only this time she stopped at a small well known coffee shop that was down the street from the school. 
She ordered her usual, strawberry bean coulatta with whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel and chocolate.
It was neatly made to perfection.
She continued her long walk until she reached the front door of her generally large house.
Her mothers and step fathers car wasn't in the drive way. 
She plopped down her house keys on the dinning room table that her family used on occasion.
The house when she normally arrived home would feel empty and alone.  Today was different. It felt almost suffocating.
Her head felt swirly and her stomach felt upset.
Not being able to stomach the feeling she lays down turning on Looney Tunes for background noise. 
Dosing off she felt hands pick her up. She was to weak to move or speak. 
Her eyes flickered across the man's face. 
She wanted to scream for help but all that would come out was a mumble.
The man set her down in the passenger seat carefully buckling her. "Who are you?" she manages to get out before falling asleep.
It had to be a dream she thought as she willed her eye open.
It wasn't a dream at all. 
She awoke in a white room on a small cott proped against a wall. 
"Hello?" she murmured.
A voice answered her through a speaker in the room. 
"Hello Mrs.  Williams. "
There is one camera in the upper edge of the white room. 
"Where am I?Who are you?" she cry's out.  Her heart thumps a million times an hour in her small chest.
"I can't reveal myself to you.  However, I can tell you that you are very special. "
She shakes her head in disbelief. She just wanted to go home.  By this time her parents must be worried about where she's at. 
The door opens and Stella presses herself against the wall. 
Her eyes scan the face in front of her.
She couldn't believe it. Months before she had been attacked but couldn't remember by what or who.  She spent a few days in the hospital and needed a blood transfusion.
"Hello Stella, you must recognised me. " the man says sitting in the now unfolded metal chair.
She tried to speak but fear struck her body.
"I do, you,you, attacked me. You were outside of my schools window this afternoon."
He looks down at his feet.  "I'm not to proud of that.  I just had to see if you were ok. I don't take joy in harming outsiders." he sighed. He rubbed his temple and stared at his feet.
"Outsiders?" Stella questioned. 
"I can't go into detail. Maybe later." he frowned.
"Why did you attack me? What are you?"
He shook his head and finally looked up showing his teeth. 
"I figured you would've guessed and spread the secret that we exist. That's why your here. Something should've happened to you afterward but didn't." he sighed.
Stella's heart felt faster than before.
Vampires,  they don't exist, they shouldn't exist especially with how black and white this world is. 
Stella tried to pull herself together but a tear escaped her eye. 
"What was supposed to happen?"
The man looked at the camera then back at Stella. 
"Our fangs are filled with venom.  Which can either change someone or is a life sentence."
She choked back other tears that welled up in her throat. 
"Were gonna run some tests." he says standing up, folding the chair. 
He placed it beside the door.
Before leaving he looks back to look at her.
"Get some sleep.  We will begin in the morning."
Her heart calmed but her mind went wild with questions and worry.