Usual Chaos

Brennan sat up, hearing a loud shout outside. He got up and put his jacket, white tee shirt, and khaki joggers on. He ran outside, and saw the Summoning happening in the middle of his shabby town. He groaned, and ran to his spot in line (he assumed, although nobody here cared.)

He saw one kid eating something, probably some sort of liver or heart, but the kid got yelled at and was forced to hand it over. Cannshifters were fairly crazy, due to the fact that they were cannibals, who could shift into one specific animal. He laughed as he saw someone get a dog. It happened to be Brady, his friend who could shift into a dog.

This brought a though to his head, 'What if I get a bear? I already can turn into one.' He sat thinking about it for a minute, when he heard the unlucky sap who had to stand there and call names yell, "Brennan Martin, get up here and get it over with."

Brennan ran up to the dirty pedestal, grabbing the goblet and taking a swig. He felt himself get pushed away from his physical form, and he felt the bear part of him following. He was transported to the Room, and waited for some lecture on how his species is failing and blah blah blah.

"So Brennan, your time has come. I hope you enjoy your freedom, you really truly deserve the better life you'll receive." Brennan felt confused, as he and his bear(Argo) were transported back into his body. He looked down by his feet, and gasped quietly. He picked up a gorgeous brown cat and kissed its head. "IM FREE! TAKE ME AWAY!"

The guards escorted him to a small plane, and he went and sat in a hospital esque room. He assumed this plane was here every year, just in case a cat did appear. He had never seen it though. Actually, he had never seen anything this expensive. He sat on the hospital bed as a nurse came over to check his health. He smiled at the plane took off, leading him to his new life.

He looked around, still holding his cat. "Oh sorry dude. Wait, you are a dude, right?" The cat seemed to nod, and he shrugged. "I suppose I need to name you. How about Granite? Nah you aren't gray... Maybe... Argo have any ideas?" His head shifted grotesquely, his bones heard snapping and moving as his eye sockets and nose grew. His teeth grew into sharp pointed ones and his eyes grew and turned a new color entirely.

The cat backed up a bit scared, but the bear (who now took up Brennan's head, but not his whole body.) smiled and let out a gruff laugh. "No need to fear cat, I'm still Brennan. Just hungrier, and less smart. What if we name you.. Amber? Nah to feminine.. Topaz?" The cat trilled, butting it's head against Brennan's (Argo's?) chest.

Brennan took that as a yes, and undid his transformation. The same sounds could be heard from before, snapping and sloshing of blood and loosened muscle as his regular face returned. "You see Topaz, or maybe Agate? To be determined friend. You see cannshifters have an animal already, one they can turn into, to hunt you know? Anyways we don't eat animals, well I eat what I can find. Ok well you're safe, but I have eaten a few cats.

"Usual cannshifters eat other people, but I'm a bit more sophisticated ya hear? Anyways, I won't eat you and Argo is harmless.

600 words