Prolog

John looked at his wife with a sad smile. He knew that they didn't have a choice, they both knew that. Yet he held her stare anyway. Her eyes were blank and shiny from all the  tears that had been spilled.

"I can't do this John, we can't do this..." he silenced her sobs and wiped her tears with his thumb.

"Remember why we are doing this, for Aria," he said, comforting her.

She shook her head

"I don't think this is a good idea anymore. There must be another way."

John was looking around the little cottage. There was rustling from the kitchen before a long, small woman walked into the room. She had long chestnut hair, all the way to her hips and two catlike-ears poking through the hair on top of her head.
"So? What do you want" asked the lady and tilted her head.

Her orange colored eyes were barley looking at the distressed couple.

John straightened his back and let go of his wife so that the baby in her arms became visible.

"We need a formula" he said with a nod towards the child.

The woman looked at the child with a sudden curiosity that made her eyes gleam.

"What kind of formula" she asked.

John looked back to his wife who didn't really look pleased but didn't say against it either.

"We want to make her human."

The women's eyes flared before she fell into a loud, hideous laughter.

"Into a human!? Why would you ever want to do something as meaningless as that?" she crowed.

"Well she cant stay like this! Whatever she is..." said Arias mother.

The woman stopped laughing and looked at her with question in her eyes.

"What do you mean?" she said confused and slowly walked towards Aria. "She's a wolf, can't you see?"

Arias mother looked down at her childs small, glowing, light grey eyes that peaked through her tiny curtain of brown hair. Then she turned her over on her stomach and pulled up the shirt high enough for the marks on her back to become exposed. The woman gasped.

"Imposible!"she screamed.

At the same time that the shirt was pulled down again, a small cry was heard from the baby's mouth who had probably awoken from all the movement and noises.

"How?" the woman asked, taking a step back. "You shouldn't be here."

"Please, Melissa! We used to be friends. Don't tell me you've forgotten your promise you made to me all those years ago?"

At that she paused, not sure what the right thing was to do next.

"Whats wrong with her?" Melissa asked.

"I don't know, but if the king captures us he won't let her live another day in the light. Just think of the things he'd want to do with something like this." Aria's mom said.

"Think just how well I'd get paid for something like this. How well you could get paid for turning this thing in."

"She's not a thing and she's our child. I will not let her come in the hands of that lunatic."

Melissa looked at the child who had finally opened it's shining eyes. So innocent, and still so vulnerable.

"Alright, but are you willing to pay the price?"

"We  have saved lots of gold, even an emerald if you insist..." said John.

"No. I meant the price for turning her human. You know the law, she can't stay."

John looked at his wife who didn't seem able to meet his eyes. They both knew the cost, had known it long before they'd come there.