lucid even in death

"This place is a farm and we are the food, that's all you need to know in order to understand the situation."

A couple of weeks later, Ray had reached out for (name). Even though he wouldn't want to corrupt his six years old plan, he didn't found any downsides to telling her the complete truth.

Ray wasn't the type to lie in an attempt to make people feel better as he found hiding the truth to be even worse, but a part of him wanted someone else his age to know about the farm, he didn't want to be alone in this.

It wasn't like she'll automatically be shipped off right after she knew, right?

And so they sat down under the usual seat he would take under the tree, facing one another.

It was better than the forest where someone could easily sneak and eavesdrop on their conversation, this spot can a bit relevant but if someone were to walk up to them they'll be sure to notice.

"W-we? food? You mean that t...thing... Ate me...?"

"I don't know about your dream, but yes, none of us are ever finding a home or a family, we were all condemned to death from the beginning, all that talk was a huge lie, we're just a bunch of goods."

"Heh...?"

(Name)'s whole posture fell, it didn't take a genius to read her body language and tell that she was in distress, rather, she felt as if she had been thrown into despair with such a velocity that that was enough to physically harm her.

"B-but mama!"

"Mama is just a worker to make sure the goods are growing steadily, once we grow enough she won't hesitate to ship you out-"

"B-but wait just a minute!", The girl interrupted, " that doesn't make any sense now, do-does it?! All those books in the library and...why, why would mama be so kind to us if we were just some food, right?!"

"You don't get it, I don't exactly know why but, those monsters are after our brains the most, and as you know; a child's brain develops less under pressure or abuse, the daily tests were to keep our heads moving and the treatment was to keep our bodies fresh, if either the psychological trauma would result in the goods self-harming or rebelling to the point of getting physical or mental, it's definitely not what they want."

"I don't really get everything but, tha-that's bad, isn't it? Shouldn't we try to escape or s-something?"

"That's impossible right now, we're still too fragile to deal with these demons, our chances in survival is too low."

"What?!But what if someone is shipped out while we wait?!"

"That's beyond our control."

"W...why are you so calm...? What if someone dies...? What if YOU die?!"

"That's for me to handle.", He frowned, " I won't be defeated so easily."

Ray slowly stood up, ready to end this conversation, he wanted to avoid talking about 'that side' of his plan as much as possible, yet (name) wasn't done yet and looked ready to resume her debate.

"How are you so sure?!"

He sighed once again, poking the girl's head rather harshly as she yelped in pain, "remember what I said about demons being mostly after the brains?"

She hummed in agreement, "well what do you do with your meal when you find the best bite?"

"Save it for last..."

"That's exactly what those monsters are doing to us, the brain tastes better the more developed it is, so using the daily test, they scoop up the ones with the smartest brains and save them as the last, best bite. Get it now?"