Introduction

Introduction
The era of slavery is fast passing. Laws and advocacy for its abolishment have made due progress and although in some areas, more than others, the progress is quite slow, the smell of freedom assures. There is a new form of slavery though: a paradigm. A mindset is eating away at societies both developed and not entirely developed. The ancestors of the freed slaves now must fight a new cause and one they have no control over: being born the way they were. Even some natives of these societies– women – struggle as they are also faced with challenges in forms of routes that society has cleared out as paths that must be taken. Heather finds herself in a more complicated situation; she has dreams she needs fulfilled but also finds herself as part of the three most oppressed categories of people. She has faith in change though, and continues to break each of society's rule hoping that it would send the message. The heart of society is hardened but only if they knew the heart she possessed: a defiant one that will continue to fight even if it be for the next generations to come.

These are times for the grab of power.

The depths of one's pockets speaks volumes as does another's station. More importantly, the skin one finds himself in opens and closes doors as does the bodily features gazed upon to define the entirety of one's strength and intelligence.

This book takes you on a journey with the young protagonist who despite knowing all of these and that she falls short in these areas, still presses on to achieve– or at least die trying – what has been withheld from her. Enough has been taken from her as even her name– even though her parents had wanted one of an African descent –had been so she could blend in, but no name can ever be more powerful than blood and what she is still comes back to stand in the way of her progress.

The journey, though short, promises to be exciting.