Chapter 8: Romance in the Snowfall

Monika slid open her front door as the other girls followed. The ground was already covered in pearly white snow. It was untouched. 

" This is...amazing!" Sayori jumped into the snow and began building a snowman as if upon instinct. Natsuki yelled at Sayori before joining to help her. Monika soon followed beside Yuri into the cold snow. Monika could see every breath she took as it froze in the air.

" This is really something. " Monika whispered to herself. None heard her, but she saw Sayori trotting over to her. Sayori poked Monika's cheek.

" I have a good idea! There is a lake nearby where we can ice skate! I mean, if it's frozen! " Sayori said, proud of her new idea. Natsuki walked over.

" Hah! I am the best ice skater out of all of you! You're on! " Natsuki smirked at Sayori.

" My legs allow me to move swiftly. I would like to see you try..! " Yuri said calmly, but with a slight sound of excitement to the competition. Monika chuckled and waved them all into her house.

" I have some spare skates! " Monika exclaimed as they all went inside and began getting things to go skating.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monika listened to the crunching of the snow as they came upon a nice little lake that was thickly frozen over. Monika could tell it was safe enough to skate. 

" Alright ladies! Put on your shoes and lets go! " Monika smirked at them all as she put on her skates. She slid onto the ice, the other girls watching her with slight awe.

" I-..never a-actually skated before.." Sayori stammered. Monika sighed and skated to the edge of the ice.

" Take my hand, Sayori. We can skate together! I can teach you!" Monika smiled. Yuri and Natsuki both glared at Sayori for a moment. Sayori didn't even hesitate to take Monika's arm as they slid onto the ice. Sayori held onto Monika's waist as they skated, Sayori trying to match Monika's motions. " There, there. Be a little more careful! Center your balance." Monika murmured to her. 

Sayori shakily nodded as Monika slowly let go of her, Sayori kept on skating.

" I am doing it! " Sayori exclaimed, throwing her arms in the air.

" That's the spirit! " Natsuki chimed in. " Go get em Sayori!" Yuri nodded in agreement. Monika just watched and smiled. She was happy to see Sayori doing something new. Suddenly, she heard someone skate up behind her on the ice and take her by the waist.

Huh-?!

Yuri had taken Monika by the waist gently and was gliding with her on the ice. Monika was taken back by this, and she seemed a bit flustered by Yuri's hand placement.

" If this makes you uncomfortable, I can move. " Yuri said gently, not even stopping them while they're skating. Monika sighed and gently let her body weight shift with Yuri's to even themselves out.

" I don't mind! After all, you're the one who's skating! I can just enjoy the ride!" Monika chuckled, happy she can rest her legs from Sayori's skating education unit. Yuri looked at Monika surprised, but kept skating. Sayori and Natsuki were throwing snowballs.

Yuri and Monika skated on the ice with silence until Yuri broke the stillness of the quiet.

" Monika. I have a question for you. " Yuri turned Monika to face her, stopping them both in the middle of the ice. Monika felt her heart rate pump a bit faster. " Have you ever loved someone before..? " Monika felt her face flush as Yuri calmly looked into Monika's eyes.

" I have...and I still do.." Monika said, shakily.

THREE people actually...

But Monika was digging herself into a deeper hole. She realized that Yuri was loosing her footing on the ice as it cracked slightly.

" Oh gosh! Yuri!" Monika slid her arms around Yuri just under her chest, her knees slammed into the ice just as she threw Yuri from the breaking ice. Monika was just inches from falling into the freezing waters, she was breathing heavily from that quick reflex.

" Monika! Are you alright!? " Natsuki yelled as she skated over with a wobbly Sayori. Yuri soon joined them, lifting Monika to her feet. Yuri seemed slightly distraught while the other girls led Monika to the snow bank. 

" Don't worry! It was just a little fall! I am fine and so is Yuri! That's all that matters. " Monika made a sigh of relief. " Maybe we should stay off the ice. " Monika groaned as she rubbed her knees. They were slightly bloodied from hitting the ice so hard, and it had a burning/freezing sensation.

" I-ergh..thank you, Monika..." Yuri said, messing with her hair. Monika smiled at Yuri and got up, limping over to her.

" Don't worry about it so much! " Monika chuckled, patting Yuri's back. " How about we all go home for some hot coco? " Sayori and Natsuki yelled in joy as they began running for the house. Yuri helped Monika get back to the house.

Oh boy...so many to choose from. Do I really have to choose just one of you..?