Chapter 12 All of the Above

It wasn't the movie's fault that it sucked. Judging the hint of sourness intertwining with Kenji's natural scent though, Ivy wasn't the only movie critic deducting points for inaccuracy. "Werewolves are seldom portrayed accurately in fiction. We're always bloodthirsty beasts, lovesick puppies, or sexy fantasies."

Sometimes they were all of the above.

Kenji's frown softened into an inviting smile after hearing the sexy fantasy part. "Well, they got the sexy part right, but I don't need a full moon to make you howl." He pulled Ivy into his lap, capturing her lips with his own.

"Mmm. You're definitely right about that." Ivy grinned, allowing herself to get lost in his wonderful kisses. As a werewolf, she was blessed with supernatural senses. She could see every shade of brown in Kenji's eyes, bask in every intoxicating variation of his scent, and there was also the benefit of added stamina. "Wanna forget about the movie? I've got an extra pair of fuzzy handcuffs. Your choice of purple or pink."

Those words banished any traces of sourness from Kenji's scent. The aroma of tropical fruit now permeated the living room.

"What movie?" His eyes gleamed with a mischievous sensuality. "How strong is this couch? As for the handcuff question, a gentlewolf always lets the she-wolf choose."

Ivy giggled. "Probably not strong enough and how chivalrous, but let's go with pink."

"Are my Upstairs Privileges still in full effect?" Kenji's wolfish grin made her knees go weak.

It had been a week since Kenji Challenged Ash and Ivy was starting to believe that things might just blow over. Perhaps Ash and his pack of traitors would just accept their exile with dignity.

Ivy's giggle spiraled into a full-fledged laugh. "Mhm. They are, but you'd better be on your best behavior if you want to keep it that way."

Kenji looked like he was about to say something, but he was cut off by the sound of Ivy's ringtone. It was embarrassing, but her grandmother must have reset it. Again.

Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran blared. The song was catchy, but the inside joke was a little too blunt for Ivy's taste.

"Do you like it?" Kenji's grin turned impish. "Willow and I thought this one would reflect your personality better than that default beeping sound."

Wonderful. Her grandmother and boyfriend were conspiring against her over ringtones.

"It's a little on the muzzle." Ivy groaned, hitting the accept button. "Hello, this is Ivy."

It was Jeff. "Hey, I'm really sorry, but I can't make it tonight. One of my patients is going into labor."

Well, that certainly qualified as a good reason to call off patrol duty, Ivy mused. "It's fine. I'll have Rita cover for you. She gets off at five, right?"

When Jeff confirmed that was indeed the case, Ivy wished him luck and hung up. The call was easy enough to deal with, but satisfying Kenji's curiosity wouldn't be.

"You'll have Rita cover for what?" His head tilted towards the side like a confused puppy.

It was adorable, but Ivy couldn't allow herself to be too distracted as she scribbled a reminder to call Rita down. "Jeff's a doctor. Remember, I set up a patrol system to watch Ash's Pack? He can't make it tonight. One of his patients is going into labor."

"That was nice of him to let you know, but I still don't like it." Kenji's gaze simmered with agitation. "How do we know that we can trust them to just leave without a fight?"