Chapter 4

Izzy pulls me out of my flashback with the growl of her stomache. She was over playng with a few of her dolls in the corner. I told her to stay put while I went out to hunt. I grabbed my knives and went to go find a couple squirrels for supper. We live in district 11, so we obviously know how to farm. I visit our little garden to check for rabbits. I find a mother and two babies, so I slit the mothers throat and put the babies in a safe place until I come back. It was Izzy's birthday next week, so why not get her some rabbits. When they get older we could even skin then and make soup. I hear a rustle in the grass and quitely sneak over to where I heard the noise and find a fox. I quickly take my knife out and slit it's throat. I hunt for about another hour and start on my way home. I killed a turkey, fox, rabitt, and three squirell. It was a pretty good hunting day and I was proud of my self. I hear a scream come from the district fence and start to run.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Izzy's POV

As soon as Jewel is gone I go to meet the friend I have been secretly playing with by the fence. When I get there I see my friend Ell walking to the fence. Once she gets closer I see the marks on her face and her legs. " Oh my gosh, what happened to you Ell?", I asked. She just sat there whimpering it looked like she hadn't slept in days. I repeated my question and it looked like she was about to answer, when she burst into tears. When she looked like she couldn't cry anymore she started to speak. " Mmmy ddad kkeeps wwondering wwhere I aam when I vist you aand sso he bbbeat mme.", she stutered. "Elle stay here I'm going to go get my sister and tell her what has happened. I'm sure she'll let you live with us.", I said. I turned around to go find Jewel when Elle started to talk, "No", she said "If my father finds out he will tell the peacekeepers and they will shurely kill you.", she finished. I Was about to speak again, when a man grabbed Elle and started to shout. I didn't think he saw me, so I hid in the bushes and watched as he started to beat her. She screamed so loud my ears hurt from the noise. "So this was her father.", I thought. I heard a rustle right next to me and looked over to see a very worried Jewel. She gave me the "Time to leave signal" and I was about to arguee when I saw the look of fear in my sister's eyes. We turned and went on our way home.