murder is never the answer

Joshua has never wanted more in his young life than to murder this old lady in front of him.

This lady looks as innocent as they come, sweet old looking, and soft voice, but the glint in her eye speaks of another underline motive. One that currently has Joshua wanting to murder said woman.

She has done nothing more than to ask him more questions that the a questionable salesmen, wanting to know what his grades were at school, how he behaved, if he has a girlfriend, if he knows how to play football, if he has a girlfriend.

Fuck social standards, if this woman doesn't leave me alone, I swear to the good Lord--

"Ah, Josh could you come and help me out?" Thank you Lord, he gave a silent prayer before thanking the old woman, who is fawning over his 'politeness of a good man', and hurried to his mother who finally came back from the store.

This is after all, why he was there,

In the middle of another nameless small town in America, where the community is tight and humble. Very cliche, and honestly, this is where the resentment his decision starts to build up, because he's here instead with his father.

Who, in question, is in Canada visting the beaches.

He joined his mom, taking the bags from her hands without her even commanding him, and walked slowly behind her. She chatted about the whole "calm and peaceful atmosphere". And the whole "charm" this town has enchanted his mother.

He could see the appeal and the "charm" that attractes people to this place. The atmosphere is calming, and the community knew each other, giving people a break from the world.

Joshua, is sadly not one of these people.

But he kept his mouth shut, as he simply nodded and agreed with whatever his mom said. No need to get into a war with her.

They finally, made it to the newly bought house, a small thing. The white color fence is crooked and the paint was peeling off, much to his mom's disarray. He, in all honesty, did not care.

He's just going to spend a year here, and his dad will come and pick him to yeet him out of here.

But for now, all he has to do is help around the house and put the newly bought groceries where they belonged. He is suppose to clean the yard, put away the boxes, and use all his energy to help around the house. All while his mom was establishing "connections", and making sure everything is going according to plan.

Basically, she's using him as the muscle of the house.

He doesn't care, he's happy to this! Taking the trash out, and raking the rotting leaves, and doing all of this while viciously trying to ignore the stares coming his way.

Curse this place. The town of Adam Mills is home to 4, 580 souls. His previous school has more numbers than that. Granted he went to a pretty big school, even by people standards, but goddammit, he hates this place.

Why, why, why did he choose this hell? Why couldn't he just be content and happy with his dad?

"Hey there! What's your name?" Jesus, please have mercy.

The current voice of his misery belongs to a fairly good-looking girl, small and stocky, but with healthy skin.

"Uh, I'm Joshua." She keeps looking at him, if he was some damn suspect. "Well, what's your name?"

"Thanks for asking!--" The fuck are you, a fucking bot? "--I'm Ashley!"

See here, his mother raised him right, and he does have manners, but he highly doubts this girl wants to shake hands with a boy that has his hands dirty from picking up trash from the old yard.

"Well, um, pleased to meet you then," His offhand remark should be enough for any decent human being with the basics of reading body language that he wants the end conversation. But apparently Ashley is not one of the normal human beings.

"Are you coming to Liberty High School?" She leaned against the fence, slightly creaking under her. Her thin hair hanging over her shoulder, tilting her face like if she was an owl.

"Pretty sure that's the only high school around this place." After all, his mom valued his education far above his metal wellbeing to force him to go to school everyday.

She laughed, a pleasant sound if it wasn't so airy.

"You're surely funny! Well, I'm your neighbour, just back there," She pointed to the house down the street, a house away from him. Cool thing that he likes, this town has houses with big yards.

"That's cool." He wants to end this. Please, just end this. He simply straighten his back like his dad taught him and prays for the good Lord to take him away.

"Huh, man of few words, eh? Well, if you ever need anything just shout it out! Pleased to meet you!" She waved goodbye as she walked back to her house, a slight bounce in her steps.

He prays he doesn't have to go and talk to her voluntarily ever again.

When he finally walks back inside, his mom is busy sorting out documents, taking most of the space of the coffee table. Dusk has already settle, and so will his darn skeleton if he doesn't take a shower.

"Hey Ma, is there hot water?" She hums, her glasses hanging on her nose bridge as she bites at her thumb. Guess, she's concentrating.

His mom the writer, who wanted some peaceful place to finish her final novel that could win prizes.

He misses New Orleans.

When the night as come, and his mom is in the kitchen talking in the phone, does Joshua finally settle.

He's all alone, the thin walls are dusty and the window is the kind that doesn't have the mosquito wire thing. Jesus, he feels like he's in some teenage drama. The muted walls give him a peace of mind as he rolls in between the sheets.

He doesn't have any friends here, the town is most likely going to alienate him, and his dad is hundred of thousands of miles away.

And for the first time does Joshua feel alone.