vi. revolutionaries

"Girls, girls, girls, girls!" Donna exclaims, bursting into Vera and Charlotte's room and jumping on Vera's bed.

"Woah there, blondie, calm down," Vera chuckled, moving from her desk to the bed.

"Where's Lottie?"

"Showers, where's Mandy?"

"In-house, she was insulting someone or flirting, I forgot. She won't be out for a couple days but that doesn't matter because she already knows and you guys don't and it's so great and I'm really excited!"

"What's going on?" Vera wondered, chuckling at the girl's energy.

"She loved my poem, she read it to the class and everyone loved it!" Donna exclaimed, "But I knew that, that happened last week. Today, she said we'd do a whole unit on poetry and it's very in depth and about a month and a half long. It's gonna be our next unit."

"That was quick."

Donna smiled, "She said she's been planning a poetry unit forever but it'd never resonated with anyone." Vera smiled as well, she didn't know that Donna would have created this much of an impact. She remembered Neil talking about their literature teacher, Mr. Keating, for some reason she wondered what he would've thought or if the guys would think he'd agree. "It's crazy that she finally got to do something she's been wanting for years now, she said, and I kinda started it, y'know?"

"Feels good to go for stuff, huh?"

"Yeah, we should do it more. Oh my god, let's start a revolution or something, I am pumped!"

"Slow your roll there, anarchist."

"Hey, what's the occasion?" Charlotte asks, closing the door behind her and tightening her towel.

"Nothin', Charlie, Donna's just doin' great things!" Donna laughed, "I am gonna start a revolution! I feel so powerful like I can do anything if I just want to and try."

"Well, you can," Lottie says with a chuckle, "But first, let me get dressed so we can go get Amanda and meet with our new Dead Poets Society friends."

"Ooh, friends. I like that word. Also, Mandy's in in-house. She'll be in for some days."

"Well, we'll take notes for her."

Charlotte got herself together and threw on a long sleeved blouse with a skirt that went to her knees. Donna was in light denim capris and her white cotton shirt was tied up at her waist. Vera wore an olive green jacket with patches and under it was a black button-up shirt and a black skirt the same length as Charlotte's.

They climbed out of the window and left it cracked so they could easily get back in, luckily they were on the first floor. They made their way on the familiar path, it was crazy it had now been almost a month that they'd been meeting with these guys. They wondered how long this would go on until they were caught.

"Y'know, Donna, Todd is always looking at you," Vera said, nudging the smaller girl beside her.

"He's always looking at everyone, what do you mean?"

"He looks at you."

"Oh no, don't continue whatever you're gettin' at, Vera Reid," Donna says, pointing her finger and shaking her head at Vera, who just rolled her eyes; she and Charlotte both knew it was true. "Todd is cute and everything but come on, look at him. He learns anything about how I was and he'll run away screaming. Or maybe he'll run away and come back at me with an anti-liberation mob. Hell, any of them except Dalton would probably be freaked out."

Vera disagreed. "Oh come on, these are guys who are obviously tired of being scared. Why would Todd or any of them run scared from you? Much less the you that you aren't anymore."

"'Cause that's how people are."

"Who says the guy even has to know?" Charlotte adds in, "I mean, if you don't want him to know then don't tell him. There's no other way he'll find out."

"Why are you guys acting like we're going to be together or something? He's barely even said, like, four words to me."

"You kept it going."

"Would you? Go with him, I mean. If given the choice?" Lottie asks.

Donna hadn't genuinely thought about this, it was never something she thought plausible. If she said no, she had to admit that it'd be a lie but saying yes would leave her open to all sorts of mischief from the girls. She just shrugged, kicking the fallen orange and red leaves as she took each step. "Who would you go with if you could?"

"Steven Meeks," Vera said easily, "He has a very pretty smile."

"Is that the only reason why?"

After thinking about it, she genuinely could say there was no good reason for dating any of them, not for her, she was worried about relationships. Her last one sent her to Victoria. "Yeah, I mean they're all nice but I think Meeks is pretty alright."

"What about you, Charlotte?"

The dark haired girl chuckled. "Dalton, probably. He's shamelessly annoying."

"I used to get Dalton and Knox mixed up," Vera stated.

"Until when?"

"Like last week. I only started to remember because Knox has a dreamy-type voice, like he always sounds happy and lovey." The two agreed with Vera easily and listened as she continued. "Charlie has a more daring voice, like he's always challenging the world to take him on."

"Guys!" Donna exclaimed, "We are three smart, strong, free, revolutionary women. Can't we not talk about boys?" Vera and Charlotte laughed at the younger blonde girl and she rolled her eyes. "Gosh do you two even get it?"

Charlotte draped her arm around Donna's shoulders and laid her head against the shorter girl's blonde hair. "Of course we get it."

"Think of it this way," Vera began, "Strong women deserve to enjoy male attention just as much as a man would enjoy a woman's attention."

"That is true."

"But male attention is the last thing on my mind anyway. Male attention got me here."

"Exactly!"

"I know what your next poem's gonna be about."