C H 1

Reginald is dead. According to Pogo, he died in his sleep last night, heart failure. I know Pogo is lying to me, but Reginald, that asshole, probably made Pogo swear not to tell anyone what had truly happened.

He killed himself. The old bastard had killed himself. He made it seem like it was a natural death, but it wasn't.

With a thousand thought flying around my brain, I sit on my bed. Thinking about why this old man would kill himself. I kept thinking back to previous lessons that could of hinted to this.

"Hesitance is not optional. You must think, but not take too long. If you take too long, then the moment will pass by and you are dead. Hesitation is death. You must follow your brain, do not let it stop you."

I remember asking, " But what if you rush into something? What if I die from not being hesitant?"

"You do not hesitate, Ester. You do not question my teachings. You are a child, nothing more. You should be grateful, I teach you and house you and feed you. Show me respect!"

I had looked down, "Yes, sir."

I shake my head, trying to clear the memory from my mind. Maybe Reginald rushed into death,  knowing something was coming. Trying to stop it.

He had taught me odd things in my life at the Academy. How to handle a gun, a knife. How to use my mind, to not limit myself based on certain things.

So many lessons and teachings, all odd in their own way, but our lesson, the one yesterday, was the oddest of them all.

I shift to lay down on my bed, as I recall my last lesson with Reginald. We had been discussing several topics, from space to molecular engineering. Until he had stood up, and he stalked over to the chair I had sat at and looked down at me.

"You must remember your training, Ester," I recall him saying. "You must use all of your knowledge and skills to properly survive."

I remember being confused when he said this, it was so abrupt. Why would he bring all of this up now? Something must of been happening.

And happened it did, he was dead.

I couldn't say I would miss him, but I can't say I hated him either. He took me in, albeit he probably had an ulterior motive for that. I was dropped off by my mother when I was three. Reginald took me in, gave me a place to live, fed me. I didn't really like the guy, but I was grateful. There are worse places to be in the world.

The only downside to me staying at the Umbrella Academy was Reginald requiring me to train. As soon as I turned 5, he taught me and I became a student of Umbrella Academy; except, I wasn't born on that special day in October or have mystical powers.

I was the only student left, other than Luther. All of Reginald's other 'children' left. They all wanted out of this house, and I can't blame them. If I had better options, somewhere that was relatively safe and had food, I would have left.

Eventually even Luther left, about 3 years ago. Reginald had saved his life, but at a cost. Luther was now half monkey. At least that's how I would describe it. Reginald made Luther go up to the moon, and Luther, being a daddy's boy, followed his every word.

It was just Reginald, Grace, Pogo, and me in this house for these last years, but not anymore. Now that Reginald is dead, things will change. But not everything, as I'm still stuck in this house.

I would leave now if I could, but I can't. Not now. I recall the last thing Reginald ever said to me, right before he had turned out the living room to retire to his room,

"Hard times are coming. The Umbrella Academy must reunite. And I need you to ensure they save the world. Can you do that, Ester?"

I had been confused and slightly freaked out. What am I supposed to say? Reginald wasn't one who took kindly to the word 'no'. Maybe this would pay back for everything he has done for me. I looked up at him and hesitated,
"Of course."