III. The Delays

They arrived on the twelfth day of the sea voyage.

Clara has grown fond of her handmaiden after so. If Cyril was born a woman, he could easily be Marionette. Cyril… She can’t seem to shake out the feelings of longing and worry whenever the thoughts of her brother come up. Well, thinking as well, he’s already an adult. It’s time for them to manage being apart from each other.

                “Miss Claire, your baggage has been unloaded. Are you ready to come off ship?”

She looked at Marionette and smiled kindly, “Thank you, Marie,” as she stood up. “It really is a pleasure travelling with you.” She spun and gave the room one last look until her eyes landed on the door. Her eyes almost went out from their sockets at the sight. A man of his early adulthood stood with a bewildered look on his face. He gave her a lopsided smile and regarded Marionette. Claire gave out a mock cough and Marionette blinked. She knitted her brows and looked at her young hand maid.

                “I suppose males are prohibited on this part of the ship? May you enlighten us about this rude intrusion or shall I call the captain?”

He waved both of his arms in defense and cleared his throat. Marionette only then noticed him by the door. Frantic, she bowed, “S-s-sir, I am—“ Claire noticed how he dismissed her greeting with  a roll of his eyes. “Ugh, spare me the formalities, Marie. I am a mere servant who was assigned to act as emissary to her ladyship. As for you, your grace, greetings. The master sent me to fetch you and to guard you as to have you accompanied safe to the Belle Manor.” She raised a brow and cleared her throat. Men… brutes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            “My name is Xander, your grace.”

She knitted her brows together. Well, I refuse to call him by his name! She sighed as she controlled herself not to cross her arms. They’re already out on the streets of Bellatona, southern port city of Blanilia in a carriage while he is riding on a horse, occasionally blabbering nonsense by the small excuse of a window. She swore she could’ve attacked him with her shoes already. “Yes, yes. A nice name, I must say, sir Knight.”

                “Well, you can call me by my name, you know.”

Clara sighed and looked away. “That would be inappropriate. I will not do something as—“He interrupted, “Intimate as calling me by my name? I didn’t take you to be the faithful type, your grace. Feisty, yes… but faithful and loyal… maybe.” She rolled her fingers into a fist and held her breath. Yes, the confrontation must wait until they reach somewhere secluded. How she wishes for Marie to ride with her on the same carriage so as to comfort her with the current predicament.

Moments later, the carriage stopped. She looked outside only to see the rude knight smirk at her as he got off his steed. He loudly opened the door of the carriage to “usher” her out.

                “Would you like to have lunch outside, Miss? Well, it’s not like you have a choice, too, so…”

She looked at the view past him and noticed that it’s of lush vegetation. They already entered a forest? She blinked and looked at his outstretched hand and hesitated. She sighed and accepted the offer. He was just someone who was doing his job. Though his behavior is rude, his hold is gentle. She nodded at him as to signal that it’s already fine to leave her alone. Yet, he stood by her. She mentally groaned and finally said, “Thank you for the assistance, sir Knight, though would you mind leaving me alone for a bit?” The man looked at her and smiled, “Well, her grace can always call me when she needs something… or when she’s bored.” He went off with a wink and she gritted her teeth. That man!