Day 2: / | \ Im Sorry

I look around, all I see is the never ending forest. I hear the rustling of leaves in the smooth wind, birds calling out to each other every once in a while. Sometimes you might hear the gargling of an Abnormal, an Abnormal that was once human.
_________________________________________________________________
I can't sleep. I mean how could I? I just killed my mother, and there wasn't even a thought process I had to go through to kill her.....I just....did it.

The voice in my head is telling me that I am just doing what I need to do to become a survivor. I just hope I don't have to kill anyone else in my family to survive. Kill or be killed, Stacey, kill or be killed.

I don't want to kill my own family to stay alive. It's how you win, how to survive. Maybe I don't want to survive. You have to, in order to keep your sister safe.

At this point I'm probably gonna start ignoring her. She scares me, I don't wanna be like her. She is a killer. I'm in 7th grade and I care about going to a good school to get a good job. I just want this madness to end.

The sky outside starts to turn a light grey, signaling the start of a new day. A new day of madness. Sophia had fallen asleep on on my shoulder, I can hear her steady breathing and see how peaceful she looks.

I almost don't want to wake her up when we finally park in the driveway of Grandma's house. Nervousness starts building inside me. My heart starts racing, palms start getting sweaty, and I can't catch my breath.

I nudge Sophia and tell her to get up. I guess she realized that I was a little agitated, because she questioned me, "Stacey, are you okay?"

"I don't know what I'm supposed to tell her."

"Tell who what?"

"Tell Grandma about mom, Sophia!"

"You're gonna tell her nothing, Stacey! I'll do the talking!" My father yells from the front seat.

His tone of voice scared us, so we decided to keep quiet. Father opened the door and got out, and we followed after him. He walked to the door with a slight tired stagger from driving all night.

Once I stood beside him, he looked at me with a glare, like he was disgusted with me, and didn't know me. I could feel the tears stinging in my eyes. I tried my hardest to keep them in, but they uncontrollably started pouring out of my eyes.

"Stop crying you bitch!" My father yelled at me, then he hit me on the back of my head, hard.

I let off a slight scream, like that of a dog that you accidentally kick or stepped on. He knocked on the door and we waited for an answer, no answer. He knocked again, still no answer. Father was starting to loose his patience.

"Denise!! We're here if you want to let us in anytime soon!! We need to talk to you!!" He yelled.

I walked around to a window to see if there was anyone there. The window was foggy so I couldn't see anything, just a weird crust on the perimeter of it and a sour smell.

Sophia grabbed my arm and we walked off the porch to get out of the way. Father back up a little and he kicks a hole into the door. He stick his hand in and unlocks it so we can get in.

As soon as the door is open, we are engulfed in a sour smell. We all started coughing and I look Into the house to be greeted by a horrifying scene.

Absolutely everywhere, there are decaying corpses, open pores and a weird green mist. I run into the car to get some of the gas masks we picked up and my machete. I handed the masks to father and Sophia. We walked inside very carefully and I had the machete drawn.

As we walked deeper into the house, the thicker the mist got and the hotter it got. I wanna turn back when I almost trip on a body. I look at it closely and realize that it's grandma.

I scream and back up into Sophia. Father comes up next to us to see what is going on and he notices Grandma on the floor. He backs up a little and pulls us outside.

"Well if there was anything valuable in there it was probably intoxicated with all those pores. Also, this infection started yesterday so why was it so wide spread on the house?" I ask.

Father stayed quiet and ripped his mask off before climbing into the car, Sophia follow behind him and I followed her. Once we get in it's another silent ride.

I decide to break the silence, "I'm sorry father..."

"Oh yea? Sorry for what? Killing your mother!?! You see your mother turn into a beast and immediately chop her dome off. You see Denise dead on the floor and you scream."

"I said I'm sorry, okay?!! If we want to survive we have to kill!!" 

"You killed your fucking mother!!!"

"I did it so we could survive!!!"

"I-I.....loved her......", He had stopped the car and rested his head against the steering wheel, tears rolling down his face.

"And you think I didn't!?!? It took a lot for me to do that." The second part was a lie, tears streaming down my own face.

"Well, it sure as hell didn't look like it!!" He turned around to look at me.

"Please, stop yelling!!" Sophia cried out to us.

We both fell silent and looked at her. I felt as if I were looking into a mirror; puffy blue eyes, long dark brown hair with side bangs, and tears streaming down our cheeks. Honestly, I'm still not used to see my twin. I've lived with her since the day we were born and it still freaks me out.

I hear father huff from the front seat. He turns around and starts driving again. I should probably start planning our escape. Clearly, father doesn't trust me anymore. I need to get away from him. It's probably best for Sophia and I.

———————————————————————————————

Things got a little crazy. Honestly, it's always crazy...... I need friends and gotta stop isolating myself in my stories, but what can I say😅I'm an introverted extrovert 😅 yes that is a thing