Chapter 1

"There Is No F*cking Fairytale"

---

I am Rebel. As my name implies, I have a rebellious streak a mile wide. Of the five girls in our group, I am the least shy. I just can’t keep my mouth shut and whenever I open my mouth, someone always gets hurt. I have no tact. I say what I mean and I have no filter. That is the very reason why I am looking at the retreating back of Seri.

“Now you’ve done it again.” Amor looks at me disapprovingly.

"Really, Rebel? You just couldn’t keep your trap shut. Go after Seri! And apologize. Mean it this time, for God’s sake!" Georgie orders. Don’t be fooled by her looks. Lies beneath her gorgeous face is an attitude of a General.

"Why would I do that? Do you want me to lie to her? That her scumbag of a boyfriend  is not kissing the she-devil behind the gym? If I was her, I would want to know!"

"We both know that she is not you. And she is delicate."

“She shouldn’t be treated with kid's gloves. She’s eighteen for f*ck’s sake. She should know better.” I counter. I know I am right.

"We don’t care if you're right. But you hurt her. Go after her, you idiot!"

"Fine! But I still stand by my decision. She should know."

"Go!" Raven orders this time, tired of the bickering between Georgie and I.

Seri, aside from being the most serious girl in our group, she is the epitome of a lady. She speaks softly, she wears conservative clothes, and she walks very slowly giving me time to catch up with her.

She goes directly to where I saw her boyfriend earlier, to find out if I was telling the truth. I know what I saw but to see Seri’s expression the moment she sees the scumbag’s tongue down the she-devil’s throat, I finally get it. My intention is good but the end result is still the same. She is hurt.

I finally decide to punch the scumbag in the face, and then after, pull the she-devil's fake hair for breaking my friend's heart but before I can do any of that, Seri surprises me once again.

She stops the PDA by punching the scumbag in the face, then, she kicks his b*lls.

I am so proud of her I shout, "You go, girl!"

And then, she reaches for the she-devil's hair and pulls it. Exactly how I imagined it. I can't help but be proud of Seri. She is standing for herself this time.

"You b*tch!" The scumbag shouts at Seri and tries to save the she-devil.

Oh, no! No one calls my b*tches, b*tch. I walk toward the scumbag and punch him in the face. I am stronger than Seri so his nose is broken.

"F*cking b*tches!" He yells as he discovers the bleeding. He looks at us with pure hatred so I immediately pull Seri and we run.

I say, good riddance! Adios!

---

"For the love of— Seri, stop crying! He's not worth it."

We end up back at the apartment shared by the five of us— Seri, Georgie, Raven, Amor and I. It is located off-campus but still a walking distance from the university.

Our unit is one of the two-storey triplex apartment. The gate is communal as well as the space we use for parking. It has three bedrooms on the second floor. The living, dining and kitchen is on the first level.

"But I loved him." Seri is sulking and crying in our shared bedroom.

"He doesn't deserve your tears— nor your love. While you are crying your heart out here, for all I know, your boy— ex-boyfriend is sucking face with the she-devil."

"You're just saying that because you haven't been in love." She wipes away her tears and uses the tissue I gave her to blow her nose.

"And I thank God for that. Love and me? Not gonna happen. It's like saying unicorns are real."

"Mark my words, Rebel. You will fall in love. You'll see. And then, I will tell you, 'I told you so' when you get your heart broken."

I laugh at her but deep inside, I shiver. It feels like an omen. And a very bad one.

--- 22 Feb 2019 ---