Part 4: Mr. Magauran

JASPER POV

"Never?" I repeated, searching Dani's eyes for an answer. I made sure to keep my look the same, full of desire. It wasn't hard after that poem.

"Never, Jas." She looked a little scared, eyes wide at me. "Don't know the man."

I tensed inwardly but kept my smile. "Should we go?"

"Yeah, I think--" Dani's eyes left mine,  her eyes widening. "Girls night, I won $500 for contest."

I turned to see the mystery man coming toward us with the Casey guy.

"Hey," Casey began brightly. "this is Mr. Gregory Magauran. He is looking to invest in the Art Room!"

"Invest?" I asked, turning slightly so I could pull Dani closer, her back against my body. She fit nicely, actually, but I knew that. It was enough to make Maguauran's eyebrows go up, especially since Dani leaned into me.

"Yeah, you know, help with renovations, book small art shows, maybe publish some of our poets..." Casey's voice drifted. "He just wanted to meet our favorite! Mr. Magauran--"

"Gregory, please," he nodded, flashing a smile at her. I could tell he was dismissing me, but I held tight to Dani's hand and she squeezed it. That was the cue I'd hoped for: she didn't want me to go.

"Gregory, this is Danielle Gibbs," he nodded.

"Nice to meet you!" She stuck out her other hand for a handshake.

He chuckled at her, and grasped her hand gently. He turned it so that he could brush his lips across her knuckles. "Pleasure's mine."

I chuckled, tamping down the urge to push the guy back, and gently grasped Dani's hand to bring it back to her side as Casey made himself scarce. "Jasper McGovern." I gave a curt nod.

"Layla Smith," Layla almost curtsied.

He nodded respectfully. "Let's all have a seat, shall we?"

Well, that settled it. He was not interested in Layla at all. If he was, he would have at least attempted physical contact with the handshake. Truthfully, he only glanced at Layla, didn't make eye contact with me until I said my name, but only for a second. Dani was definitely his focus. Great. He doesn't realize--or he will--that Danielle is taken...sorta.

"Danielle, your poems are really provocative and passionate," Gregory smiled with a nod, and then nodded again in thanks to Casey, who returned with another round of drinks.

"Irish coffees for the gents, coffee with mocha and cream for the ladies," Casey said, putting down the drinks and then glasses of water.

"Thanks," Danielle smiled up at Casey. "Thank you." She leaned in closer to me as she took the cup in both hands.

Casey did a thumbs up and left.

"I would really love to see more of your work," Gregory said, leaning forward. "I would love the opportunity to showcase you and others in a poetry book."

"Sounds fun," I smiled at him, and then down at her as I put an arm around her. I picked up my Irish coffee. "What do you think, babe? Ready to share your stuff with the world?"

I watched her beam up at me. She enjoyed that, but then so did I. "I guess. I'd just have to go through them--"

"I'd like to be part of that process--" Gregory said softly. "if that is alright with you. I think I can find a title among your works for the whole book-"

"Or get the compilation together and title it then," I put in. "Will the book also include art works?"

"I think it should," Dani said quickly. "Layla paints. I think it would be really nice if the book was sold here and there was an art show, too."

"Wonderful idea," Gregory said, his eyes sparking. "Poem illustrations could bring it all together. We must work together on it."

"Yes, I am sure the poets and artists would love that!" Dani smiled up at me. "Jasper is an architect, but his sketches always moved me."

"Casey said he's never seen you here before," Gregory smiled, but he gave a frown that told us he was trying to figure Dani and me out.

"Truthfully, this is Dani's girls' night out," I grinned. "but she was so excited about winning the Valentine Poem contest, I asked her if I could come, just once, just to see her read. Looks like I picked the perfect night." I kissed her temple and I could tell she enjoyed it when she turned and nuzzled me. "You have a card?"

"Oh, of course," Gregory handed the card to her and she held it for me to see.

"You're a developer?" I asked.

"Yes, always looking for opportunities."

"We have a company," I said, giving him mine.

"Nice card," he nodded.

"Dani designed it," I said truthfully, looking down at her. "You can contact us there. Dani works there, too." I looked down at Dani's hand. She glanced at me, and I took Gregory's card and put it in my pocket. He blinked at that.

"She works for you," Gregory nodded. "Convenient."

"She helped my brother and me build our company," I said. "She is an equal partner, profit sharing, everything. She is the crown jewel of our business." She laughed softly at that, a bit embarrassed. "You are, babe!" I looked at him. "I don't know if I could survive without her, honestly." She looked up at me, and for once, I let my guard down a bit. It was true, I didn't know what I'd do without her. Her look was so soft, I caressed her face.

Layla cleared her throat. "Sorry, guys. Work tomorrow."

"Oh, yeah," Dani looked up at me. "I drove tonight."

"I took a cab," I told her. "Guess you're my designated driver, too." I gave a suggestive look. "I've got clothes at your house. We can just go to work from there."

She smiled at that, almost looked relieved. 

"Well, we should call it a night then," Gregory nodded. "Look forward to seeing you."

"Yes, have a good night," I said, rising from my chair. I took her coat off the back of her chair and put it on her. Layla smiled gratefully as I did the same for her. Then I put on mine.

"See you soon."

We got into Dani's car, and she started the engine.

"Did anyone else get the vibe that he has been watching you before this?" I asked, finally letting some of my anger show.

"Maybe he saw your performance," Layla shrugged. "It's on YouTube."

"What?!" Dani was surprised.

"Yeah, someone recorded it."

"Send the link, I'd like to see it," I said.

"Why?" Layla laughed. "Tonight's performance was much better than the contest. You two were on fire!"

I shared a nervous laugh with Dani. "It wasn't planned--"

"Still, you two looked....kinda natural tonight." Layla said suggestively.

"Layla--" Dani gave a heavy sigh.

Layla raised a hand and shrugged. "Just sayin'."