Chapter Twenty-Six

Pictured: Troy (Colin Ford)

The mood of Collins Creek is never peppy and happy, but it's seemed as if the entire town has been consumed in a gloomy fog over the past week. Word spreads fast. Everyone has given apologies to Helen and my brother, but it's not like their words offer any sort of relief to the two of them. It's devestating, this whole situation.

Today was like any other day. We went to school in silence, went through the day in silence, and drove home in silence. I'm almost afraid to even offer consoling words to Ben. It's been a week, but of course I don't expect him to get over this.

So upon walking in the door of our rickety old home, Ben goes back to his room and slams his door. This has been the basic routine the whole week. Madeline barely looks at me before going back to our room.

Since it's Friday, we were given no homework over the weekend. I go back to our room and sit on my bed. Madeline has the TV turned on, but she's not even paying attention.

"Do you think Ben's going to be okay?" she asks me. I shrug my shoulders. She's asked me this every day, and I give the same response.

It's going to take the both of them a while until they're okay again. For the first few days, Ben went to see Helen every day after school. Now I guess they both want to be alone.

Tonight, it's just the three of us in the house. Mom was going out with her new boyfriend. I can't say I'm complaining. I'm glad that she's actually dating again. This guy is nice, too.

I sit doing nothing for a few hours until Madeline gets up and plugs her straightener in. Oh, I guess it's just Ben and I tonight. Mom did say Madeline could go to this party with John Tyler, as long as nothing happened like it did last time.

She gets ready and then lets me know that she's leaving. She takes her keys and walks out. I hear our front door slam and her car start outside.

It's about 6:00 now, and I've basically done nothing but sit on my bed since I got home. I sit up, planting my feet on the cold wooden floor and walking over to Ben's room. I knock once on his door before pushing it open. He's sitting on a beanbag chair, tapping his fingers on his knee and listening to music. He barely glances at me before taking his headphones off.

"What do you want?" he asks, his voice dull and cold.

What did I come in here for again? I walk over and sit on the edge of his bed. Out of habit, I reach forward and yank the beanie off of his head. He just looks at me but makes no attempt to take it back or insult me.

"Just you and me tonight, kid." I joke. We probably won't do anything. He'll probably just want to stay alone in his room.

"Hey, kid, I'm older than you." He says while snatching his beanie back. There's a slight hint of a smirk on his lips.

I place my hands on my knees and look around his room. I'm not in here often, but it looks about the same. After several minutes, I stand up.

"What do you want for dinner? I'm cooking." I say. He fakes a gag before looking back up at me. I already know what he wants.

"Mac and cheese?" he asks in a hopeful tone. I roll my eyes as if I didn't already know.

I go in the kitchen and take the blue box of macaroni out of the pantry. I start boiling water and then stir the noodles in before adding all of the other stuff. Apparently Ben isn't coming out here to get his own. So, being the good sister I am, I bring some back there for him.

When I walk in, I see him sprawled across his bed snoring softly. His lamp is still on and he still has his headphones blaring music in his ears. I set the bowl on his nightstand. He'll be awake in an hour at the most. Nobody could possibly sleep with that awful music he plays.