Chapter 60

The Monkees were invited to eat dinner in a café that was below the stage set up for the artists. Crosby and Stills had decided to take them under their wing and give them the full monty experience, hopefully as a preview of good things to come in their future. The organizers of the Festival had asked the artists to perform for no pay, but they had provided excellent amenities, including excellent food, even steak and lobster, so the Monkees and their gals ate better than they ever got to, and were constantly whiplashing as famous or soon-to-be-famous performers sauntered by with plates full of food or drinks in their hands. It was quite a heady experience.

Stills sipped from a coupe full of champagne and turned to Peter and said "Buddy, everyone has picked out someone they want to introduce their act

Stills sipped from a coupe full of champagne and turned to Peter and said "Buddy, everyone has picked out someone they want to introduce their act. How about you introduce us tomorrow?"

Peter squeaked "Me? But everyone who's doing introductions is a big time musician!"

"Come on, Pete. Tom Smothers is going to be introducing the acts tonight. He's not exactly Dylan."

Wendy pinched Pete's thigh really hard and he swung his head around towards her and squeaked again. She gave him a stern look indicating he should accept the invitation, but he remained speechless. She sighed and said "Stephen, Pete would love to introduce you guys. He's just overcome with gratitude, and he's a humble guy, as I'm sure you remember from back in your Village days. Thanks so much for asking."

Crosby smirked and said "You Monkees sure do have some firecrackers in your group. They keep you all in line. I like it." He slung his arm around Wendy, who smiled pleasantly and stood up, shrugging him off tactfully, moving over to Mike and placing her arms around his neck. She said "Yeah, aren't they just the luckiest guys to have such loving partners?" and kissed Mike passionately. Mike swooned a bit and then gave Crosby a shit-eating grin. Crosby looked at Dawn and said "How about you, darlin', are you taken, too?" Dawn gave him a kind, compassionate look and said "Yeah, Peter's gonna be my hubby as soon as the Monkees hit it big, so thanks for helping get us to the altar faster. We're real grateful. You'll definitely be getting a wedding invitation." Crosby just shook his head and said "Man, I gotta go find me a woman. That Joplin chick's a firecracker. Wonder if she's hooked up with anyone." With that, he sauntered away.

Gabby giggled and confided "Wow, he sure spreads it around liberally. He already tried it on with me yesterday, but he's really easy going. He found out I had Micky and now Micky's like his new best friend. He calls him 'Mick the Knife' and he let us sleep in his room last night."

Davy said with a shudder "Yeh, well speaking about last night, let's make sure we don't have a repeat of that scene. I may be small, but I ended up sleeping in a chair and that didn't do me back any good. I say if we get invited anywhere tonight, we bring our own wheels so that we can get back to the hotel if we want to. I want to sleep in me own bed. I'll even volunteer not to get totally plastered so I can play chauffeur. Since I don't reckon I'll be pulling any birds, I just want to get a good night's sleep."