Episode 9 : Second Thoughts

"I'm a bit early," Hayley said. Her fingers tightened around the straps of her gym bag as she tried to quell her nervousness. She had no reason to be nervous, she reminded herself. She lived here now. Unless he changed his mind after seeing her in the light of day and realized she was completely out of place among the jade vases and rooftop swimming pools. "But the driver arrived earlier than I expected, and I didn't want him to wait."

"That's his job," Gabriel said. "Well, part of his job." He nodded at her bag. "Did you bring a dress?"

"Yeah. Do you want to see it?" She lifted the bag slightly.

"I'm sure it's fine." He sauntered to her right and picked up a towel from a low wooden table. Rubbing it over his hair, he went on, "But I think we should get you something new for tonight. We'll go out for lunch, then pick up a few things you'll need for the next few days."

"Oh. But..." She looked down at her bag. "I brought everything I need for the weekend. There's really no need to buy anything." She tried not to stare at his chest as he ran his towel down his dripping wet body.

"Buying you clothes is all part of the charade, Hayley. We'll be back here at five, and leave for the party at seven. Is that enough time for you to get ready?" He slung the towel over one broad shoulder.

"Sure."

He looked at her feet. "Remove your shoes."

"Excuse me?" She looked down at her sneakers, then back up at him.

"We take our shoes off when we're inside. Come on." He led her indoors. "You need help with that bag?"

"No, I'm fine."

Once through the doors, they paused long enough for Hayley to take off her sneakers. She followed him through the living room, shoes in one hand and bag in the other. He'd slipped into a pair of bedroom slippers, but he was still only wearing his bathing trunks apart from the towel on his shoulder shoulder.

They walked across the living room. "I'll give you a full tour later, but this is the dining area for company and the kitchens are down there," Gabriel said, gesturing to the other end of the room where two heavy chandeliers hung over a long table that looked like it could seat two dozen people. Against one wall was a floor-to-ceiling wine rack encased in glass. Behind it rose the staircase. "Three of the four bedrooms are up these stairs, including ours."

She froze in her tracks. "Ours?" Her voice came out in an undignified squeak.

He walked up a couple of steps before he paused and looked over his shoulder down to where she stood. "Yes. Did you think I was going to make you sleep on the couch?" She could swear there was a mischievous twinkle in his eyes.

"But..." She shook her head. "You said no... I mean, you said we weren't going to... sleep together."

"I said no sex, Hayley. But if we're living together, we're of course sharing a room."

She stared up at him in wide-eyed horror. "You have two other rooms—"

"Three."

"Okay, three other rooms. Can't I stay in one of them? No one has to know."

He looked at her for a long moment without saying a word. Finally, he turned away and said, "Fine. But your things will be in my room." He continued up the stairs.

She followed, walking quickly to catch up. Her heart was pounding. She couldn't believe he actually meant for her to sleep in the same room as him. In the same bed! Was this a mistake? When she agreed to the job, she didn't expect to have to live with him. Now it turned out he had intended for her to share his bed as well.