Chapter 9

Mae, Georgy, and hung out in the Commons to discuss the news about Ricky and Kynsey's relationship.

"Their drama completely slipped my mind. Otherwise, I would've told y'all about it sooner," Mae told us, "Kynsey and Ricky's cheating has caused a ripple effect throughout our group."

"How so?" Georgy asked her.

"Natalia's mad at Deion because he knew the whole time Ricky was cheating and he didn't share it with her."

"Ah, the good ol' 'bros before hoes' mantra."

"Yup," Mae nodded, "And Natalie didn't appreciate the implications behind that considering they've been dating for damn near two years now."

"Wow, they've been together that long?" I was surprised as I hadn't known anyone who had made it past the year and a half long mark in their relationships, especially Deion, "I wouldn't have expected Deion's attention span to be that long honestly."

Mae laughed, "Quiet as its kept, Deion isn't a complete ass. He's immature and problematic as hell for sure, but it's more apparent that he has a heart when he's separated from Ricky than when they're always together."

Georgy scoffed, "That nigga only managed to punch me in the face because he caught me off guard. If I saw him again, I'd stomp a hole in his head."

I had forgotten entirely about the sucker punch Deion delivered to Georgy after Georgy hit Ricky once he got in my face during the Freshmen Freak Week party. I never realized that Deion was Ricky's Georgy in a way. But my only question was whether or not Tevin factored into their lives, "Do you know much about Ricky's brother and all that?"

"Malik? He's cool. Very reserved but is definitely about his business. Total opposite of Ricky. I didn't even know you knew him."

"I met him when I went to Ricky's to do a project," I made sure to be careful not to say too much about Malik around mixed company. Part of me already felt guilty for nonchalantly talking about Malik's sexuality with Georgy, but we always tell each other everything. I trusted Mae, but the idea of Malik's sexuality being revealed to someone who saw Ricky regularly spelled disaster. It was better not to bring her into it.

However, I did have more questions, "Do you know about Ricky's friend, Tevin?"

"Ugh, I've only met that asshole two or three times, and that was two or three times too many," Mae looked disgusted as she brought his name up, "There's something off about that boy. He was one of the major reasons why I told Kynsey to be careful around Ricky. It's no secret that he's gotten himself into some mess, and while he does try to keep Kynsey out of it, I always feel like what you do in secret is going to come to a head with your public life at some point."

"Does this include your sexuality, Mae?" Georgy teased.

Mae laughed nervously as she ran her fingers through her hair, "I'm taking things one day at a time on that front, but I think I'm making some real progress."

"Who knows, maybe the girls being wrapped up in their own drama will be the perfect time for you to drop the L bomb. Maybe they'll be too busy to care?" I suggested.

"Or divert all their attention to me. No thank you!" Mae responded as she checked her phone, "But speaking of which, I need to go back and get ready."

"Oooh, hot date tonight?"

"Mhm, I haven't seen Lenzi in like two weeks, so I'm really looking forward to this."

"Aye, get it! Enjoy yourself!" Georgy told her.

"Have fun, Mae!"

Mae stood up from our table, "Thanks y'all!" she said as she waved goodbye to us.