Author's Note

Inspired by what Norma says to Emma in 1x06: "Had I been lucky enough to have a daughter, I would have wanted her to be exactly like you."

I would really classify this as a love story. Not a romantic one, but the most heartbreaking and complicated kind: that between a mother and her daughter. These women are messy, but that is what makes them so fascinating to me. I see plenty of myself in both Norma and Olivia, and I think this somewhat mirrors the complicated relationship I have had with my own mother. I hope you enjoy delving into the lives of Olivia Massett and Norma Bates (at least, my slightly separated version of her) as much as I loved writing them.*

NOTE: there are themes in this story that are possibly triggering, such as death, alcohol addiction, sexual assault, domestic violence, self-harm, suicide, and more. if you are uncomfortable/will be possibly triggered by any of those things then please do not read this story. it is not my intention to offend anybody. i am simply trying to tell a story in the most raw way possible. please message me if you have any comments, questions or concerns about anything i write.

this will take place (roughly) before season 2 (specifically, in between the time gap that takes place in the first episode of season 2). i originally had this set in season 3, but i want olivia to have enough time to interact with all of the characters before the DRAMMAA begins.

also!!!
this story is an ~AU~ meaning a lot of the events i'll talk about never took place in the bates universe. it would be boring if i left everything the same!

Here's a closer look at the cover ^^ !* i am constantly in the writing process

* i am constantly in the writing process. i haven't prewritten all the chapters, but i have prewritten a couple and i think i already have a good idea of who olivia is.